Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
Peterk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 36 1987 aft cabin named Serenity

Postby Peterk » February 2nd, 2023, 3:09 pm

Hi, a new owner of a Carver aft cabin 36, 1987. Into my 80’s my sailing days are limited.

Found it advertised on line berthed at the Liberty Mariner in Edgewater Maryland, which is merely 1 mile from my dock: so convenient for delivery as to be the primary reason of all the ‘picks’ .
The boat is named Serenity originally owned by a Marylander.
This is intended to be a live aboard at my own dock ( I found out that as such, Maryland will impose yearly property tax ); in Serenity (an emotional escape ?) . The doctor cannot save my ailing wife from late stage Vascular Dementia

The house is up the hill which, in retirement, I am changing it to Airbnb and manage it down by the dock.

The bucket list: is to replace the two powerful gas engines with a pair of DC motors just to potter around and convert the heads to compost toilets. And, to install a wind turbine to keep the battery banks charged

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Re: New member

Postby plittle2005 » February 2nd, 2023, 4:17 pm

Welcome aboard!

I also am the owner of a Carver Aft Cabin, a '92 33', and am in my 80's. Bought her 2 years ago, and am still working on her, quite a bit into the engines (elbows, risers, heat exchangers,) and cosmetics, plumbing, etc. and I also thought an electric conversion would be fun to do, especially as I only get 1 mpg at 8 mph.

I had to face reality, though, and admit that maybe I didn't have the time horizon or the strength to accomplish that and still get some quality cruising in.(Last year, got in 2 months and 600 miles on the Hudson and Lake Champlain, so a good start).

But if you are serious about your conversion, I hope you can keep us dreamers up to date on your progress. I thought maybe buy a couple of wrecked Teslas and salvage the running gear. I haven't done all the calculations but if a boat requires 8 gallons of gasoline per hour, how many KWH would be needed for the same range. Are there enough marinas and power poles to recharge often enough? But I don't know; EE's on the forum: what thinkest thee?

Be a really great conversion, if you do it! Keep us informed and inspire a lot of young environmentally conscious boaters!

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » February 3rd, 2023, 7:43 am

Welcome to the group!!!!!!!!!!!!

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » February 3rd, 2023, 5:02 pm

Welcome aboard
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 4th, 2023, 12:26 pm

plittle2005 wrote:Source of the post
... But if you are serious about your conversion, I hope you can keep us dreamers up to date on your progress. I thought maybe buy a couple of wrecked Teslas and salvage the running gear. I haven't done all the calculations but if a boat requires 8 gallons of gasoline per hour, how many KWH would be needed for the same range. Are there enough marinas and power poles to recharge often enough? But I don't know; EE's on the forum: what thinkest thee? ...

Just as a SWAG, that 8 gal/hr would equate to about 68kWh of battery capacity.

At that speed, you're probably running the gas engines at their most inefficient portion of the power curve and there might also be a lot of accessory load that's eating into the efficiency too, so that kWh number could be a bit lower, but it's in the ballpark.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » February 4th, 2023, 3:16 pm

Welcome.

Just to share something: an aquantaince of mine had a wind turbine and changed it to solar panels because of the noise and resonance off the turbine. Fine for a short period but for a liveaboard perhaps panels are a better option. And if you have her at your own grounds, you can put some panels on shore if you want to get off-grid as much as possible.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » February 5th, 2023, 9:25 am

Welcome aboard!