Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Introduction and thank you for adding me to the forum

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author Canada
EngineerScotty
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3607 aft cabin. 2-350 Crusader engines. 2 heads and showers. One dual port, black water holding tank under aft bank seat in dining area. A/C-heat unit under fwd dining bank seat.

Introduction and thank you for adding me to the forum

Postby EngineerScotty » March 10th, 2023, 2:36 pm

Hi, I'm Gordon Velyvis, last year my partner, Geoffrey and I bought a 1985 Carver 3607 aft cabin in Toronto, Canada. It was in pretty rough shape as it was lived on through the winter for 2 years and lived on land through 2 more winters. Aside from general years of neglect and dirt, it had a lot of unsafe electrical devices installed to keep the boat heated. Plus quite a few plumbing disconnects and a dual inlet black water holding tank under the aft bank seat and no connection to the aft cabin potable water tanks under the aft cabin bed. I'm still trying to figure out and make the connections for proper system operations.
With all of that being said her engines run perfectly and there are still many tweeks and adjustments to come. We will need a lot of advice and tips from the Forum.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Introduction and thank you for adding me to the forum

Postby Midnightsun » March 10th, 2023, 2:56 pm

Welcome aboard. Beam me up Scotty. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 10th, 2023, 3:56 pm

Welcome aboard. We're here to help.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 11th, 2023, 10:07 am

Welcome aboard!!

I had a 3607 also (an '83) for many years and know the boat 'inside and out'. If you have any questions, just float them here and I or another member will likely have a response!!

I did a lot of work on mine, replacing all the potable lines with PEX and replacing the holding tanks. I put the projects in threads under the "Repairs and Maintenance" sections. There are diagrams and drawings and pictures in most of those threads.

It's interesting that they tied both heads into the same waste tank. I had actually explored doing that, as the OEM tanks are large (40 gal each, IIRC), which was WAY more than enough for our uses. I ended up getting a good deal on replacement tanks via greatlakesskipper, so I stayed with the dual tank setup.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » March 11th, 2023, 5:21 pm

Welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 12th, 2023, 5:14 am

Welcome Aboard. Good luck getting her all set up to go on many adventures. We love pictures.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » March 13th, 2023, 6:03 am

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » March 13th, 2023, 10:47 am

Welcome
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
EngineerScotty
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3607 aft cabin. 2-350 Crusader engines. 2 heads and showers. One dual port, black water holding tank under aft bank seat in dining area. A/C-heat unit under fwd dining bank seat.

Postby EngineerScotty » April 7th, 2023, 10:01 am

km1125, Hello, thank you for your welcoming response and offer of information regarding the 3607.
We are getting ready to launch April 21 and are redoing her hull as there is practically no anti-foul coating left. I was wondering if you have heard about the new marine ceramic coatings for the upper hull portions instead of the standard hull buff and polish?
The main or two main questions I have and that you may be able to help me with is with that dual head holding tank. Ours seem to have a leak in it, which I've checked the waste lines and cleanout line and is leaking into the forward bilge area. I plan to lift the holding tank to see if it has a crack or hole in it through years of improper winterizing or just aging. My question would be, is it best to replace or repair the tank or could the waste be leaking from some other area?
The second question is last season, I managed to get our a/c unit running. It was minimal at best but operational. However, I checked the refrigerant type and bought a can of F21 refrigerant from our local automotive shop as listed on the boat's a/c label. It did the trick and worked beautifully for a week and then just stopped working by tripping the breaker. I replaced the breaker to no avail. I checked the pressure and that was when the guage hose line blew and filled the lower cabin full of freon. Any suggestions on how to repair or replace?
I know I asked alot of questions and would be most appreciative of any advice you can offer.
Gordon (aka Engineer Scotty)

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » April 7th, 2023, 11:12 am

Auch! that was environmentally not so very good....

sounds to me like the system is old and worn. not used for quite a while so hoses dry, no pressure on them and inflexible. Then you start it up and the pressure is too much so it blows at the weakest point but the rest is likely to be not in a better shape.

I'd suggest you get the whole system checked and prepare for replacement of at least the hoses and connections, with bad luck more hardware, by a professional.

It's not freon but still not good for the birds, the bees and the fishies.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”