Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Circuit breaker

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Circuit breaker

Postby Viper » June 25th, 2023, 7:20 pm

Ya keep us posted. Would be interested to know what they were using an orange wire for. Figure this out so you're not in the same boat as your neighbour 3 down! Let us know if you find out the cause of the fire. Anything to do with the renos?

Topic author Canada
Daddy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 carver montego 2557
Twin mercury 3.7 engines

Postby Daddy » July 15th, 2023, 10:29 pm

Hey group I'm back, sorry for the long absence.
Just a quick update on my journey to solve my electrical problem on the boat.
Called several mobile boat repair shops. This one guy says he doesn't do calls to marina's??? So, where do you expect to see the boat if you don't do dockside service calls? So much for being a mobile unit.
The next 2 marine repair shops only repair boats from 1995 and newer. Out of luck for having an 1989 boat.
For these marina's that are seasonal, you would think that they would be more than happy to make some money to service my boat regardless the year.
I took matters into my own hands and started looking at all the fuses in the engine compartment. I found a few blown fuses and replaced them. I also replaced the 30a fuse with the orange wiring coming from the shore power line in the boat.
Checked all wiring and battery connections, all good.
Turned on all panel switches, reset the GFCI in the bathroom. OMG it reset, the green light was a fantastic sign.
the refrigerator hummed the sound of I'm cooling the BEERS. Doubled checked everything, turned everything off and turned all back on. It was alive, I'm happier than a pig in mud, thank GOD.
I'm leaving the A/C off for now. just in case this is the cause of my grief.
As for the young couple that lost their boat to the fire, it seems there was an electrical short in the galley area.
The insurance company is investigating the matter with the marina that renovated the boat.
Hope to see them with a new boat soon.
It's been raining in my neck of the woods for awhile, hope to be out on the water soon.
Thanks again for everyone's insight in helping me solve this electrical matter with my boat.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 16th, 2023, 9:05 am

Daddy wrote:Source of the post
...Called several mobile boat repair shops. This one guy says he doesn't do calls to marina's??? So, where do you expect to see the boat if you don't do dockside service calls? So much for being a mobile unit. ...

Not sure about where you are, but around here the marinas take a 'cut' of the action and require a lot of insurance, so there are many mobile services that won't go to marinas unless they're based there or have some ongoing agreement with them.
Daddy wrote:Source of the post
...I found a few blown fuses and replaced them. I also replaced the 30a fuse with the orange wiring coming from the shore power line in the boat. ...

Well, it's good that you have power now, but I'd be concerned you didn't solve anything and I'd be looking a lot closer to understand what was going on, especially since you previously wrote this: "He found an orange wire with a 30amp fuse that he says was extremely hot."

I'm wondering what the "few blown fuses" were for and what caused them to blow? If you replaced the orange wire fuse with the same rating, is that going to get "extremely hot" again at some point? I'm also wondering if that wire was in the A.C. portion of the system, exactly what was it and where did it go to and from, as there really shouldn't be an orange wire in that system!

I think there's a lot more to unpack here before you put this issue to bed!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 16th, 2023, 10:29 am

Perhaps the AC was a DIY retro fit.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 16th, 2023, 10:35 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Perhaps the AC was a DIY retro fit.
Same person that did 3 boats down? :-O ;-)

Topic author Canada
Daddy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 carver montego 2557
Twin mercury 3.7 engines

Postby Daddy » July 16th, 2023, 12:10 pm

I thought the same thing as you gents are mentioning.
I'm not done with this issue yet.
Don't need an electrical fire like the boat down from me.
I'll be looking over the wiring diagram for this boat, I'm sure I'll find a few wires that have been cut and connected incorrectly causing this short.
I'm off later in the week and I'll be out at the marina checking the wiring,
Have a good day

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”