Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

How to work the head on my boat

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
eriklee200
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Montego 3257

How to work the head on my boat

Postby eriklee200 » July 24th, 2023, 5:25 pm

Hi All,
I have a 1990 Carver Montego 3257 and curious if anyone can walk me through the operation of the toilet that I have (pics attached). There is a dry and flush dial as well as an electric flush push button. The seacock is open but it feels pretty firm when I try to slowly pull the handle up and seeing there is a lot of plastic here I don't want to force anything and have breakage. If anyone can share a basic process I would be very grateful. My last boat was more of just a porta-potty.
Thanks,
Erik
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: How to work the head on my boat

Postby Viper » July 24th, 2023, 7:22 pm

That is a Raritan PHEII toilet. It has the ability to run it electrically or manually via the handle. Don't try to use the handle though if the motor is actually hooked up to the pump. If the motor works, remove the handle and keep it aside. If the motor fails, unhook the motor linkage, install the handle and you'll still be able to use the toilet albeit as a manual flush. If you push the button and the motor doesn't run, that's a separate electrical issue that requires some diagnostics. It's either a bad switch, bad motor, bad wiring, or bad breaker. With the motor running and mechanically hooked up to the pump, it will operate the pump just as you would via the manual way using the handle.

"Flush" brings water into the bowl as you operate the pump, "Dry" evacuates the bowl's contents as you operate the pump.

These are good toilets by the way, very well built, robust, and totally rebuildable.

Topic author United States of America
eriklee200
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Montego 3257

Postby eriklee200 » July 25th, 2023, 12:44 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate your guidance and believe the motor is all set to go so I will put the handle away for safe keeping.
Regards,
Erik

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 25th, 2023, 2:09 pm

Everything Viper said... and if the flush/dry valve is stiff or hard to move you can remove it and lubricate it with any teflon grease and reinsert and it will work much easier.

Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » July 27th, 2023, 3:41 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post "Flush" brings water into the bowl as you operate the pump, "Dry" evacuates the bowl's contents as you operate the pump.

We have one, but without the electric option, does this actually mean you turn it to flush first, pushing the handle down. Then turning it to dry as you lift the handle?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 28th, 2023, 9:05 am

Grafunkus wrote:Source of the post
Viper wrote:Source of the post "Flush" brings water into the bowl as you operate the pump, "Dry" evacuates the bowl's contents as you operate the pump.

We have one, but without the electric option, does this actually mean you turn it to flush first, pushing the handle down. Then turning it to dry as you lift the handle?

Not really. If you want to fill the bowl with some water before you use it, then turn the handle to flush, and pump a few times. Then turn it to dry and pump till the bowl is empty. Or if you just want to rinse the bow turn it to flush, pump a few times, then turn to dry and pump a few more times.

Canada
daveincave67
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 3207 aft cabin

Postby daveincave67 » July 30th, 2023, 4:49 pm

Where do these get water from? Seacock? If I take the top assembly off at the toilet will I sink?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 30th, 2023, 5:10 pm

Typically there is a seacock. If the toilet is above the waterline you won't have an issue. Not sure what part you're talking about as the "top assembly", but you can take the water hose off at the bottom of the pump and plug it if you can't locate the seacock. On your boat the seacock probably feeds both heads and the line probably goes to a "T" fitting right after the seacock and splits to feed the fwd and aft heads.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”