Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

FNG here

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
Garzilla
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver Santego Twin 5.7 Crusaders

FNG here

Postby Garzilla » November 3rd, 2023, 11:27 am

Hello everyone,
I have a 1997 Santego 310 350 Crusaders. Just bought it. It is only my second boat I have ever owned and quit a bit bigger than my 21' deck boat. As with everyone else I am looking for any manuals or instructions. I am in Bonita Springs Florida, just retired December last year. I will read through the posts to see if I can find something on my own.

Recently came back in and my shore power is plugged in but nothing comes on like it did before. Not even sure what to check. There is power through the cord to the boat. One of my guests may have hit a switch somewhere, who knows?

I am hiring someone to replace the generator.

The port engine started overheating after a long idle speed trek. It was fine the rest of the time and on a 40 mile round trip to Marco Island. The engine is fairly new with 65 hours on it. The previous owner said he has a hot thermostat on it because it wouldn't come up to operating temp. I am thinking the sea strainer is stopped up but I really have no idea.

I am trying to learn everything I can about this boat. Any help would be appreciated.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: FNG here

Postby bud37 » November 3rd, 2023, 12:22 pm

Welcome to the forum....post your specific questions in the section they apply to and you will get a better more detailed help I am sure. People are more than willing to help here.....good luck with your new boat.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 3rd, 2023, 12:28 pm

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new boat!!

On the Crusaders, you need to clarify if that's 350HP or 350CI, as Crusader made both and it gets confusing especially when you're trying to buy parts or need troubleshooting. A lot of the manuals can be downloaded for free on the Internet.

Sometimes there's two sets of "main" breakers for the incoming power. One on the main panel and another near where the cord attach to the boat. Take a look around. Also check the ends of the cords as they frequently get damaged and no longer make good connections.

On the overheating... if you haven't already replaced the impellers, then you should really do so. Even if the prior owners said hey were "just done". It's amazing how many weekends are ruined by just a small part and when it's easily changed. And you should always keep a couple spares on the boat because you can ruin half a day just trying to locate and pickup the parts if one fails. Definitely check the strainers periodically to make sure they're clear too.

Garzilla
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Garzilla » November 3rd, 2023, 12:43 pm

Sounds great. Thanks for the ideas. I personally know very little about this boat yet. I bought it 2 weeks ago. I just got the parts manual so I have something for reference now. Thanks again.

Garzilla
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Garzilla » November 3rd, 2023, 12:45 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Welcome to the forum....post your specific questions in the section they apply to and you will get a better more detailed help I am sure. People are more than willing to help here.....good luck with your new boat.

Thanks for the the suggestions. I barely figured how to post and reply. Working on it

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 3rd, 2023, 1:50 pm

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new acquisition. Fire away with any questions you have, we're here to help!

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 3rd, 2023, 2:04 pm

Welcome aboard.
You mentioned replacing your genset…what’s wrong with it and why does it need to be replaced?

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » November 3rd, 2023, 5:12 pm

Welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Garzilla
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Garzilla » November 6th, 2023, 10:41 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard.
You mentioned replacing your genset…what’s wrong with it and why does it need to be replaced?

The previous owner removed the genset when it stopped working. I found a 3kw low rpm westerbeke genset with 172 hours that I am having installed in the 2 weeks. On the parts manual I got on this forum it had a 3kw westerbeke from the factory. Just getting this baby ready for a trip to Key West. This group has been super helpful. I only hope i can contribute one day.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » November 7th, 2023, 6:03 am

Welcome to this great group!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”