Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Into

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
Poetloverandfriend
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 32' Aft Cabin

Re: Into

Postby Poetloverandfriend » December 5th, 2023, 2:34 am

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Wow! That is going to be a lot of fun! Welcome aboard. If you haven't already, get inside the vessel and start pulling out drawers and doors. I would not be surprised if the manuals are stored inside somewhere. Carver generally had a pouch containing various items, including a 3 ring binder for ship systems, and the engine manuals. I am sure, with your background, things will get easier mechanically. Especially if the engines are Crusaders. The guy that started Crusader was an aviation mechanical engineer. That gas situation is a real concern, especially if there is ethanol gas inside. You may want to ge a hose in the tank and extract a good sample out. Hook up a battery, and check gauge. The port side ignition needs to be in the on position for the gauge to display. Good luck! 8-) er

The engines are Crusaders. On the valve cover it says model 270. I don't know what that means. And thanks for the welcome!

Poetloverandfriend
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Poetloverandfriend » December 5th, 2023, 2:39 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard Charlie. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. You should be able to find manuals on-line for just about anything. It would help if you posted the makes and models of the engines and generator. Engines could be Mercruiser (black) or Crusader (blue), and I suspect the generator might be an Onan MCCK for that vintage but Kohlers were used as well.

Thanks for the welcome. On the valve cover it says, "Crusader Model 270". I'm not sure what the 270 means. The GenSet is an Onan 6.5.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » December 5th, 2023, 6:27 am

Welcome to the group!!!!!!!!!!!1

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 5th, 2023, 6:37 am

Sounds like it's a 350/5.7L (270 HP), not a 454/7.4L

Poetloverandfriend
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Poetloverandfriend » December 5th, 2023, 2:12 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Sounds like it's a 350/5.7L (270 HP), not a 454/7.4L

Yes, you are right my friend. After reading everything everyone said to me, I took another look at the boat and decided that perhaps the guy at the marina was mistaken. Last night, I did a little Google search, and I discovered the same thing - 350 not 454. I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or not. Thanks for the info.!

Poetloverandfriend
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Poetloverandfriend » December 5th, 2023, 2:14 pm

pepmyster wrote:Source of the post Welcome to the group!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thank you! I'm already learning new things and can tell that there are some wonderful people here :-)

Poetloverandfriend
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Poetloverandfriend » December 5th, 2023, 2:21 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Welcome and even if you can’t find the manuals you are looking for, any questions/issues you have, ask here and I’m sure you will get answers.
I’m assuming you have the model 3207. That boat usually came with 350’s, are you sure you have 454’s? That’s a lot of engine for that boat and will make things pretty tight anytime you need to work in the engine room.
My brother used to have a mid 80’s 3207 as well.

After reading what many of you said, I took a closer look at the engines. They are 350's not 454's. The mechanic at the marina gave me incorrect information. Thanks for the help and the welcome!

Poetloverandfriend
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Poetloverandfriend » December 5th, 2023, 6:09 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Welcome to the forum...a little advice if I don't presume.......IMO have a qualified some one look over / inspect the boat, hull, stringers, decks etc before you jump in any farther . Maybe you did.

Good luck with your adventure.

Thanks for the welcome!
I haven't taken her to the boat docktor (pun) yet for a checkup. She is on the stands now and I am just cleaning her up and fixing the things that need fixing now - the broken and leaking cabin window for example. She also has some hull damage along the gunwale, port/aft corner that goes along the side to the broken window. The broken window seems to have been caused by the same accident. I do my own fiberglass work on cars, but I'll have a pro look at fixing that one. I don't have a trailer for her so I'll either have someone look at her here on my property or pay someone to transport her there and back $$$$.
They are definitely correct when they say that B-O-A-T is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. Especially on a big and older one, like this old girl. However, I just know she will be worth it when I am finished making her beautiful again.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 6th, 2023, 2:02 pm

Poet - don't be disappointed in the 350's. They have enough power for that boat, and not as thirsty as the 454's. The thing that makes me scratch my head is why a mechanic would not know the difference. That damage must have been from a good smack. The strength at the gunwhale is darn strong due to the technique Carver used in joining top deck to hull. Keep us informed. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”