Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Into

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
Poetloverandfriend
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 32' Aft Cabin

Into

Postby Poetloverandfriend » November 16th, 2023, 10:48 pm

Greetings to all. I hope this intro finds you and your family in the best of health, your waters smooth and your sky blue and sunny.
I’m Charlie, a 23-year military veteran. The state that I call home is referred to as “The land of 10,000 lakes”. Minnesota USA.

I just took ownership (three days ago) of my first “big” boat. My 1983 32’ aft cabin needs a little – well, maybe a lot – of love. However, I couldn’t be prouder to call her mine.
She has been on stands at a marina for about 7 years. The previous owner didn’t want to pay to do the repairs needed and was behind on storage fees. He said if I took care of the fees, I could have her.
She has twin 454s. (Update: I believed she had 454s because that is what the mechanic the marina told me. After much advice from the wonderful members here, I did some research and discovered that I was given misinformation, and the engines are instead 350s.)

The previous owner told me that one of the engines was in good/ok shape and that the other one had been pulled, rebuilt, and reinstalled. However, the rebuilt engine still needs the final assembly completed. Manifolds, intake, carb, valve covers and a few other things. All I can do is take his word for all of this as I never saw her run and there is a box of parts along with the bigger pieces lying on the floor.

I am in desperate need of any type of owner’s manuals and maintenance manuals for each of the things on board… Engine, genset, various pumps, electronics, and anything and everything else. Even just bits and pieces of accurate information would be most appreciated. Also, any tips and tricks with regards to the operation of this old girl from those with experience would be happily received.

I am going to post a few pictures of my floating lady (no, that’s not her name), however, you will notice that while most captains showcase the beauty of their boat, mine will not be glamor shots. At least not at first. They will basically be – before and after – types of images. Because I live in the northern U.S., I probably won’t be getting much completed on her during the winter :-( Just the same, as things progress, I will try to include updated pictures for those who might be interested. To some of you, the improvements may not seem like much. However, like a parent watching his child grow and change, they will be big events for me :-) Your comments and or constructive input will always be welcome.

Hopefully, some day, I can meet a few fellow Carver owners. Until then, take care.
Last edited by Poetloverandfriend on December 5th, 2023, 10:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Into

Postby RGrew176 » November 17th, 2023, 1:19 am

Welcome Aboard and best of luck getting her up and running. Tons of room in these aft cabin models.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 17th, 2023, 6:46 am

Welcome aboard Charlie. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. You should be able to find manuals on-line for just about anything. It would help if you posted the makes and models of the engines and generator. Engines could be Mercruiser (black) or Crusader (blue), and I suspect the generator might be an Onan MCCK for that vintage but Kohlers were used as well.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 17th, 2023, 8:26 am

Welcome and even if you can’t find the manuals you are looking for, any questions/issues you have, ask here and I’m sure you will get answers.
I’m assuming you have the model 3207. That boat usually came with 350’s, are you sure you have 454’s? That’s a lot of engine for that boat and will make things pretty tight anytime you need to work in the engine room.
My brother used to have a mid 80’s 3207 as well.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 17th, 2023, 10:10 am

Yea, I second that comment about having big blocks in that boat. If that's true, then it will really fly, but I suspect you have 350 Cu in engines. Still get pretty good performance from those though!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 17th, 2023, 11:09 am

Welcome to the forum...a little advice if I don't presume.......IMO have a qualified some one look over / inspect the boat, hull, stringers, decks etc before you jump in any farther . Maybe you did.

Good luck with your adventure.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 17th, 2023, 11:52 am

Wow! That is going to be a lot of fun! Welcome aboard. If you haven't already, get inside the vessel and start pulling out drawers and doors. I would not be surprised if the manuals are stored inside somewhere. Carver generally had a pouch containing various items, including a 3 ring binder for ship systems, and the engine manuals. I am sure, with your background, things will get easier mechanically. Especially if the engines are Crusaders. The guy that started Crusader was an aviation mechanical engineer. That gas situation is a real concern, especially if there is ethanol gas inside. You may want to ge a hose in the tank and extract a good sample out. Hook up a battery, and check gauge. The port side ignition needs to be in the on position for the gauge to display. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » November 17th, 2023, 5:05 pm

Welcome aboard.
I have to say the gas is probably bad. When we bought our 3697, it had sat for 10 years. I put an ad in Craigslist to get rid of the bad gas. A local farmer took it all.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 17th, 2023, 8:11 pm

waybomb wrote:Source of the post Welcome aboard.
If have to say the gas is probably bad. When we bought our 3697, it had sat for 10 years. I put an ad in Craigslist to get rid of the bad gas. A local farmer took it all.

Yep, 7 year old gas is not good and it’s possibly even older than that. Pump it out.

Topic author United States of America
Poetloverandfriend
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 32' Aft Cabin

Postby Poetloverandfriend » December 5th, 2023, 2:32 am

buster53 wrote:Source of the post Welcome and even if you can’t find the manuals you are looking for, any questions/issues you have, ask here and I’m sure you will get answers.
I’m assuming you have the model 3207. That boat usually came with 350’s, are you sure you have 454’s? That’s a lot of engine for that boat and will make things pretty tight anytime you need to work in the engine room.
My brother used to have a mid 80’s 3207 as well.

"When I was at the marina picking this one up, I stopped to look at a Sea Ray Sundancer340 that they were working on. The marina mechanic told me (referring to the Sea Ray) "She has twin 454, just like your Carver". The only thing I found on the engines on my boat is on the valve cover and it said, "Model 270 Crusader" Does that tell you anything?

Thank you

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”