Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Just bought 28' Riviera

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author Canada
oakridgeboater
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 carver riviera

Just bought 28' Riviera

Postby oakridgeboater » December 13th, 2023, 3:13 pm

Hello all,

I just joined this morning, after purchasing a 1985 Riviera via auction earlier today.
I had another post with photos submitted, but it has disappeared for unknown reasons.

So, as I say, I just bought this boat today. I haven't seen it, it's at the auction yard about 90 miles from me, in the Toronto area. I'm new to big boating so I would like some pointers. The boat has been winterized, would there be other things I should be doing over the winter and/or prior to launching it in the spring? I believe ensuring the bilge pump functions is a primary concern as well as the exhaust fans. Prior to starting engines in the spring is there a process to follow? Can I start engines up out of the water by hooking up an intake hose? I'd like to ensure all is good before dropping it in to the water not knowing if it will even turn over (auction said it was inspected and in good operating condition...but why would they say otherwise and cancel a sale).

There are no manuals with the unit, so I am looking for those as well. Service, user/operator manuals, brochures etc if anyone has a link or otherwise where I may be able to find such, would be appreciated.

Hour meter shows 114, although without yet seeing the full console I do not know what that meter regulates. Boat is on its own trailer, however it appears it is only secured with the bow winch on trailer. There is/are no tie downs to the rear of the trailer.

If fellow members could chime in with any assistance on what I should be doing as a new boater that would help. I'd really like to obtain manuals to become familiarized with it. Have any members come across common issues with this model?

Thanks again for any help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Just bought 28' Riviera

Postby km1125 » December 13th, 2023, 8:07 pm

Those models are not typically trailerable boats. You might use the trailer for off-season storage, but I'm not sure I'd count on it for much over-the-road travelling. If you were going to do that, I'd spend a LOT of time going through the trailer to make sure it was going to be up to the task! Securing the boat to the trailer is an issue, as (like I said) they're not really designed to be trailered. There really should be some kind of strapping on the aft section and down to the trailer, but that can be a temporary one if the trailing is limited.

On the manuals. There will be a manual for the boat, but it's pretty generic. There will be separate manuals for virtually anything ON the boat, like the engines, transmissions, electronics, plumbing systems, etc, and many of those can be found online. You need to find out exactly what is on the boat now, because many things could have changed over the years. You need to go there and do a pretty thorough "survey to find out what the model and serial number are on all the equipment so you can track down the correct manuals and any parts that might be needed.

Yes, you can start the engines will the boat out of the water, but you do need to supply some water (and enough water) to do so. That will give you some confidence that the engines will start (and that everything is hooked up OK for them to start) before you get launched. But it won't really tell you much more than that regarding their condition or reliability.

DEFINITELY plan on replacing the raw water impellers before you launch. After launch and running the engines for a short bit, I'd also replace the oil in the engines and transmissions so that you KNOW when all this stuff is done and not rely on someone just telling you when they THINK it was done. Bad impellers are one of the MOST COMMON problems for engine overheats and ruined weekend for boat owner who take on a used boat.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » December 14th, 2023, 6:00 am

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » December 14th, 2023, 2:40 pm

Welcome aboard and congrats!
As to starting the engines, it's been winterized. Don't do it now!
Our first boat was a Riviera.
Engine room access is a challenge.
Plan all your driveline work all at once. Then pull the chairs and all the covers so it's wide open. Makes things so much easier.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 14th, 2023, 4:26 pm

Welcome to the forum....I always liked them, was looking at one not long ago but the boss said NO MORE BOATS .. :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 15th, 2023, 11:20 am

Great live aboard vessels. I would advise you to proceed with caution. Auction yards are limited to what a seller is disclosing to them. Last year, a gentleman asked me to assess a purchase he made at auction, and the "good condition" Carver he bought had 2 cracked engine blocks, a water tank that was split along the top, and more serious issues. Needless to say, the repairs would have cost 5 times the vessel value. The auction yard did return his money, but he was out the transportation costs and yard storage expense. He spent over $4,000 for nothing. His wife is still "reminding" him of a bad experience. Not saying this is going to happen to you, but you should be aware that it is possible to buy a boat and have it cost way more the the actual boat value. You may want to consider having a marine mechanic start those engines before you move it. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author Canada
oakridgeboater
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby oakridgeboater » December 16th, 2023, 3:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I've already picked up the boat yesterday, and just went inside today to look around. It's a used boat and needs some interior touch ups, but doesn't appear to be in too bad a shape for 38 years old.

The seller sent me photos of his trip up the Trent locks this summer and there's current lock stickers on the windows so it was at least operating this summer.

I didn't locate any Carver operating manuals, only the "engines and drive systems" Article B-1, about 15 pages.
I searched online and here, but cannot locate any info regarding winterizing the boat, just the engines. I did discover that some(?) Riviera's have the hot water heater pre-heated with the engine coolant and there's a procedure to drain that system. What about the head holding tank, on board water tank and pump system? Are there drain petcocks for this? I have no idea where to look for these.

The engine manual shows them to be Mercruiser 230 or 260. I would suspect the serial numbers will define which it is.

Anyone on the site have a copy/link of the manual and/or info on where to find the tanks and drain petcocks??

Canada
Jigjag
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 3608 Carver

Postby Jigjag » December 16th, 2023, 6:35 pm

Welcome to the Forum @oakridgeboater! I noticed your name and I need to ask you if your from the Richmond Hill/Aurora area? I spent my pre teen years growing up in Oak Ridges.

I would get a survey done on the boat. You will need it anyway for boaters Insurance. I went with Aviva through a broker that gave me a bunch of options. Make sure all your safeties are up to date. Big ones are smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, make sure you get new fire extinguishers or have them checked if you don't know how to do a quick check yourself, powder usually settles at the bottom. Bang it on a hard surface and shake it upside down. Check the needle so that it's at the correct charge and also that no damage has been done to the trigger. You can do a balance check once you have shaken the powder around. If it's still stuck on the bottom of the cylinder it will fall that way (when balancing from the middle on a horizontal with one hand).

Topic author Canada
oakridgeboater
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby oakridgeboater » December 16th, 2023, 9:39 pm

Hi Jigjag,

I will start to get the stuff prepared that you mentioned. There are those systems in place now, but no idea if they are functional. I'll power it up over the next few days and see what's responsive. I just looked inside today for first time and rooted around for a couple of hours opening everything. I've got a few questions about the Riviera specifically if you have one?

I'm living in the Oakridge, but over near Mosport Raceway. Love it here, moved from the city and glad for it.

Canada
Jigjag
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 3608 Carver

Postby Jigjag » December 16th, 2023, 10:38 pm

I don't have a Riviera. Where will your home port be? I'm on Georgian Bay. I might be moving marinas next boating season.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”