Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Newby needing advice

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author United States of America
brianleighton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 32

Newby needing advice

Postby brianleighton » February 10th, 2024, 4:02 pm

Howdy folks, looking for some advice on the following situation: I "inherited" a boat from my uncle....he's not able to enjoying the boating life anymore due to terminal illness and has asked me to sell his boat of him. I'm not a boat savvy so just looking for a ballpark price for what his boat might be worth so I can recognize a decent price when someone offers. Here's what I know about it: 1987 Carver 32', hour meter shows 1272. Gas burner with dual engines and a separate generator. Ran up an down the river with in fall of 23, then we had it winterized by a marine service company who replaced the batteries, replaced all spark plugs, got the generator running again and just a general tune-up (a little over $2k worth of service). I've attached a few pics of it, much appreciation for advice/value!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Newby needing advice

Postby bud37 » February 10th, 2024, 4:13 pm

Welcome to the forum. .....sorry to hear about your uncle. My advice, go on boating sales sites like Yacht World, Marine max, boat trader etc. there are many and compare what you find.

Good luck and be patient.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

brianleighton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby brianleighton » February 10th, 2024, 7:23 pm

Thanks, been looking around at used boat sales online and I see what I think I have as a “Carver 3207 AFT”? Is that the true model number?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 10th, 2024, 7:56 pm

brianleighton wrote:Source of the post Thanks, been looking around at used boat sales online and I see what I think I have as a “Carver 3207 AFT”? Is that the true model number?

You have a 3227......another way to find out the value of what you have would be to get a survey done, then you will have a good idea because then they will value the boat and inspect it to find an issues.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

brianleighton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby brianleighton » February 10th, 2024, 8:21 pm

Thank you!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » February 11th, 2024, 11:54 am

Welcome and hope you can get a good price for him.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 11th, 2024, 1:17 pm

Welcome aboard!!

Personally, I would not get a survey done unless you're planning on keeping it and need an insurance appraisal. I'd just look for similar boats on the sites mentioned (as well as craigslist in an expanded footprint of ~500 miles). That's not an "aft cabin, as you would not have the cockpit aft area (standing area at the stern), but a raised platform with the aft cabin underneath it.

If you're going to post it for sale, it might make sense to have someone local detail it. Get some nice polish and buffing on that fiberglass and it will clean up to almost-new condition. A thorough cleaning on the interior can make it pretty appealing too.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 11th, 2024, 4:15 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Personally, I would not get a survey done unless you're planning on keeping it

IMO, the idea of the survey for this poster is to learn what he has so a prospective buyer can't put one over on him, it is ok if you know your boats like you do but this may not be the case here given the circumstances, that is why I suggested it. Of course the ultimate value of this boat could be fairly low or much, much higher depending on structural condition for example stringers/decks. I wish him the best of luck.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 12th, 2024, 12:25 pm

Yes, I agree. There are various levels of survey. Explain the situation to the surveyor. Would be worth a few hundred $ to make sure the seller does not leave thousands on the table. That is an extremely popular vessel, and if it has well maintained Crusaders in it, the hours are not scary. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » February 12th, 2024, 4:57 pm

I agree with cooler and bud37 on getting a survey. The survey could also be used as a selling point. Especially for someone in the in the OP’s position. While I would never rely strictly on a sellers survey, there are people who will. But it does give the prospective buyer a good idea of what they are looking at.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”