Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1990 4207 with Cat 3208

List your Carver Yacht for sale here. All listings are free for active form members! ALL ADS ARE FREE - USERS MUST HAVE AT LEAST 10 POSTS TO PLACE AN AD
Forum rules
All classified boat ads are free. Please be as specific as possible in describing your vessel. You can upload pictures too!

CarverYachtOwners.com and the owners of this forum take no responsibility for the authenticity of ads or legitimacy of items being sold. Buyers, please buy responsibly.

To place an ad start a new Topic. We reserve the right to delete ads from users with fewer than 10 posts.

Topic author United States of America
ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 4207 w/ CAT 3208s

1990 4207 with Cat 3208

Postby ddjinks » September 3rd, 2021, 10:29 pm

Purchased a 1990 4207 AC with Cat 3208 TA's a few months ago (first boat). Starboard engine was smoking (white, unburned fuel) when purchased; seller thought that it was a fuel nozzle over-feed problem. Thought that would be fairly reasonable to get fixed. Had a tech to work on that issue and found other problems. Now looking at engine replacement worst case; maybe just top-end rebuild.
$25k-$30k for engine replace is worst case I've been told. Just not up for it from a time and effort standpoint. Paid $60k for boat. Anyone interested in a "project" boat at $40k. Boat located near Nashville, TN on Old Hickory Lake.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 1990 4207 with Cat 3208

Postby g36 » September 4th, 2021, 9:32 am

If it turns out to be unreasonable to repair and if you putting around on the lake and using the boat as " condo". It would be some work but you might pull both engines sell the good one whole and the other for parts and put in 2 gas engines using some of the money you just got. There were several gas 4207's with gas motors made.I know it wouldn't be optimal and some work,, but a thought. It's better than just giving the boat away if it's in really good shape and if fits your needs. Best if luck.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 4th, 2021, 12:13 pm

There is always someone looking for a boat that size to have refitted from stem to stern the way they want with all the latest and greatest.....one that size, turn key with all the updates would be very expensive to buy.....and new well !!!!! :-O .Though it is hard to say how many are left in the business of doing custom refits.

Anyway good luck with your sale.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ddjinks » September 5th, 2021, 4:10 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post There is always someone looking for a boat that size to have refitted from stem to stern the way they want with all the latest and greatest.....Though it is hard to say how many are left in the business of doing custom refits./quote]

Local dealer has a 1988 Wellcraft Portofino 43 that he may be willing to swap. One engine to be replaced ($7500); he has it lined up to be done in two weeks. I'd have $67,500 in that boat if I did it ($60k I paid for the 4207, plus the engine in the Portofino). Portofino maybe worth $50k, so short $17.5k. But I'd be in about the same hole if I put the $30k for a rebuilt engine into the 4207, that would maybe sell for $70k.

g36 wrote:Source of the post It would be some work but you might pull both engines sell the good one whole and the other for parts and put in 2 gas engines using some of the money you just got. I know it wouldn't be optimal and some work,, but a thought.

Thanks for the idea, but that would definitely be tough. The boat does have a dedicated diesel tank for the gen, but I really was considering removing it, so would need to change the gen to gas as well.

ddjinks
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ddjinks » September 7th, 2021, 6:51 pm

Ended up swapping with the dealer. We'll see how he does on repairs and what he lists it for. He thinks it will be a 6 month project given how hard it is to line up resources.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 17th, 2022, 9:57 am

ddjinks wrote:Source of the post Ended up swapping with the dealer. We'll see how he does on repairs and what he lists it for. He thinks it will be a 6 month project given how hard it is to line up resources.

Just curious... Did you ever find out what happened to the boat?

Return to “Carver Boats For Sale”