Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Main salon battery switch access under steps

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
charlesjsavage
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355

Main salon battery switch access under steps

Postby charlesjsavage » February 27th, 2021, 11:56 pm

Ahoy,
I have a 1999 Carver 404 and am trying to wire in a new house bank. The problem is I need to get access to the battery switch under the steps and do not know how. If I remove the for screws that hold the panel in there is not enough slack to pull the panel up. On my old 355 there was access to the panel from the aft cabin area behind the tv. Don't know if the previous owner cut it or not but it was accessible. This 404 does not have that access and I do not see any screws.
Is there a trick to getting access to that area? Thanks in advance this site has always been AWESOME!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Main salon battery switch access under steps

Postby Viper » February 28th, 2021, 9:49 am

Oh boy what a great topic but it's bringing back some frustrating memories for sure. There is no easy way to access this area for doing anything in there. Even with the access through the aft cabin, it's still a contortionist's nightmare too. It's bad enough that I don't know any tech who will give an estimate to do any work in there. For obvious reasons because of accessibility, it's the type of work that falls into the time and material category...it takes as long as it takes unfortunately.

If I remember correctly, one of the issues contributing to gaining access at the step was the step that swings up. It's been a while since I've had to get in there but I recall having to remove the carpet and that step completely to get that switch panel out to a point where you can get a little more access albeit still a difficult one. The fwd breakers while still difficult are easier to get to than items further aft and will make it easier to relieve that panel if they get disconnected first. Still not easy but it helps, it'll just be very time consuming.

Given the limited amount of times one needs to access this area it might not make sense but I've seen guys cut an access panel into the face of the step and increase the size of the access in the aft cabin. I don't recall how different the 1999 404 might be in these areas so these may or may not work in your case.

I guess the other question is why another house bank instead of just increasing the one you have? That wouldn't require changing anything under that step. Depending on what exactly you're trying to accomplish, you may be able to wire a circuit without going into the step. Hardware can be installed in a different location. If you post exactly what you want to do, there may be another way around it.

Good idea for switch and breaker placement but it's not the best access Carver came up with. Looking forward to checking out what some 404 owners have done, hopefully they will chime in with some solutions.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » February 28th, 2021, 10:59 am

I have the same boat. As Viper said the only way to pull up the switch panel is to remove the step that covers it. I removed mine by feeling through the carpet for the screws that secure the stationary part and then cutting a small slit in the carpet to remove them.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

charlesjsavage
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby charlesjsavage » February 28th, 2021, 11:23 pm

Thanks so very much for the help, sometimes there is a silver bullet some time there's not! Viper in answer to your question regarding the house bank I came upon 3 new Discovery AGM's and wanted to make a dedicated house bank for my onboard inverter system. Was going to start there because I have a problem with something drawing amps and running down my batteries overnight. Even when I have all the other bridge and main panels and all breakers shut off there is still a draw. When I turn the battery selector on any position I am getting draw so I was going to start there. Figured if I had it out might as well get started on my house bank.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 1st, 2021, 7:08 am

I trust you have had your batteries properly tested?
What leads you to believe you have a draw and not a battery or two that aren't holding a charge?
I'm sure the crew will chime in and recommend some checks based on past experience. If you know how to use a multi meter, it'll help diagnose the problem. Isolate one circuit at a time and eventually you find the problem. Note that a faulty alternator can drain your batteries as well. Also check for wiring and connectors that might be lying in bilge water.

What inverter are you getting?
Where are you going to mount it?
Does it double as a charger?
Are you planning on having the engines charge the new bank while under way?

charlesjsavage
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby charlesjsavage » March 1st, 2021, 10:23 am

Viper thanks for the tips. The batteries are less than a year old and all cells test at 1275 or higher, voltage at takeoff at 13.5. When using my meter and the step switch on, all other panels off, the reading is 5.8 amps of draw. The direct wired items such as bilge pumps and shower sumps are OK and the draw only happens when the battery switch is on and not when its off. Bilges are bone dry with no signs of corrosion on any connectors (I spray them with dielectric silicone on a regular basis including behind the panels.
The Charger currently installed is a Xantrex 3000 w Power Inverter with High Surge Capability, 3-Stage Charger. It does have a AM charge setting on it and has 3 battery charge outputs for a total amp out of 130 amps. Being in lower Alabama the ac is almost always on in the evening so the house bank will be isolated and charged apart from the engines. I am changing all my batteries to AGM, too fat and old to get down there and check fluids anymore. All of the Engines and generators will be Trojan Motive Power and the house bank will be Discovery Dry Cell.
With 3ea of the EV185A batteries should give me 1515 minutes of discharge at @25A. Nice thing about these is I can run them to 80% depth of discharge with no problems. Even at 100% discharge I will get 350 cycles but most of the time it would be much less.
The charger is already mounted to the starboard side of the center engine access if yo u were facing aft. After mounting the new AGM batteries for the engines the house batteries will go down center-line toward the aft above the starter banks.
Hope I didn't miss any questions and thanks again.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 1st, 2021, 11:27 am

That draw sounds like the amount a fridge would pull......check the draw then turn off the the 12v fridge at the panel and at the fridge itself to make sure then recheck.....one other check could be the stereo memory, many will say that won't pull that much but if the stereo is bad it will....just do the same check as the fridge.....same check with the battery charger/inverter as well.

How are you testing the draw ....is it continuous or intermittent ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

charlesjsavage
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby charlesjsavage » March 1st, 2021, 12:04 pm

The draw is continuous and that's with all of the breakers off in the bridge area, AC and DC panels in dining area and all breaker's off on the stairs. Also refrigerator is off and amp draw is not present with battery switch is off so it's not shower sumps or bilge pumps and I have checked all those. I'm in the boat now trying to track it down. Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 1st, 2021, 6:39 pm

charlesjsavage wrote:Source of the post.... The Charger currently installed is a Xantrex 3000 w Power Inverter with High Surge Capability, 3-Stage Charger..... The charger is already mounted to the starboard side of the center engine access if yo u were facing aft....

So do you have 2 chargers or just the Inverter charger?
You mentioned that the inverter/charger is currently hooked up, I would disconnect it completely and check if you still have a draw. I've run into that before.

charlesjsavage
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby charlesjsavage » March 1st, 2021, 7:09 pm

The Xantrex/Inverter-charger is charging to both battery banks and I have a separate Xantrex charge only TC 40 for the generator batteries. Have disconnected the inverter but just remembered the separate generator charger so thanks for reminding me.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”