Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Another Boating Season Done

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Another Boating Season Done

Postby RGrew176 » October 20th, 2021, 4:56 am

Just found another boat that could toss a monkeywrench into my plans. While searching boats for sale websites I ran across a 1985 Trojan F-32 listed by one of the area brokers. The asking price is $19900 definitely within my budget. When I bought the Carver in 2016 Trojan was one of the boats on my short list.

Who knows. I will call to make an appointment to look her over if not sold yet. I don't know if the link will work but here she is:

https://www.temptationyachtsales.com/bo ... n-7542650/
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 20th, 2021, 6:56 am

The F-32 was a very popular model for Trojan, there's still a lot of them out there. Solid glass hull but make sure you have the stringers checked as well as the other common problem areas such as hard top/bridge floor, decks, etc. She'll have a hollow keel which is usually problematic for holding water that eventually goes stale leading to a foul smell. That can be remedied by creating accessed into the keel and keeping it dry. You'll also want to have the inside of those fuel tanks checked, pretty sure they were galvanized and eventually rust out from the inside. The issue is usually evident in the colour of the fuel but it's best to do a visual inside the tanks, hopefully they're close to empty. The age of the vessel warrants they be inspected and pressure tested. Those swim platform wooden supports are also due for replacement.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 20th, 2021, 8:53 am

Rick , I thought you were wanting smaller......Anyway that is a real time capsule there....no Genny, two batteries no air, no windlass......are you planning on working on this boat ?

Actually the keel is not totally hollow depending on the day at the factory.......the resin was fairly thick from the bottom ( if too much there was too much heat), but there is a hollow section under the roving in the center under the steps area, easily dealt with and may have been already, you will see if so........ :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » October 20th, 2021, 9:18 am

Called on the Trojan. The broker was honest enough to tell me that the forward deck is soft as is the floor of the upper helm, moisture issues. I will pass. Looks like the Bayliner is still in the running. I really appreciate the brokers honesty. Saved me the cost of a survey to find out the same thing.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 20th, 2021, 9:57 am

Glad to see you got the info first hand. I cannot even imagine wanting $19,000 US for something that sounds compromised all over the place not to mention it is 36 years old. Sounds more like a boat that would be given away if somebody really wants to inject a lot of time, money and effort to bring her back.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 20th, 2021, 10:11 am

I thought it was interesting that the Trojan had FOUR fuel tanks (or at least that what it looked like). Looked like FOUR fuel gauges and four separate leads going into the two filters. I liked the fuel manifold, as it looked like you could run either engine from any one of the four tanks, but I would have added two more filters and moved the two present ones to before the selector valves, so that when you switch to a different tank you're also switching to a new filter.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 20th, 2021, 9:10 pm

Hey Rick, I know of a trojan f-34 for sale in my marina. the guy that owns it now only had it for two years. The previous owner had it for several years and is a good friend. It has rebuilt engines (crusaders 5.7) with low hours and runs great. Has genny and a/c. No windless.
I think it is on facebook market place for 26k, but I know you could get it for 20, maybe a bit less.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 21st, 2021, 6:14 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post I thought it was interesting that the Trojan had FOUR fuel tanks (or at least that what it looked like). Looked like FOUR fuel gauges and four separate leads going into the two filters. I liked the fuel manifold, as it looked like you could run either engine from any one of the four tanks, but I would have added two more filters and moved the two present ones to before the selector valves, so that when you switch to a different tank you're also switching to a new filter.

They brought that back as My 41CMY has 4 tanks. Can select either port or starboard tanks and transfer fuel from to each on the mains however the aux tanks cannot be transferred between each other.

Click on photo to see larger view, 4 fuel gauges. ;-)

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » October 22nd, 2021, 3:35 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Hey Rick, I know of a trojan f-34 for sale in my marina. the guy that owns it now only had it for two years. The previous owner had it for several years and is a good friend. It has rebuilt engines (crusaders 5.7) with low hours and runs great. Has genny and a/c. No windless.
I think it is on facebook market place for 26k, but I know you could get it for 20, maybe a bit less.

Just out of curiosity where is this boat located?
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 22nd, 2021, 4:55 pm

Tom are you sure, I don't think Trojan made an F34......did you mean an F24.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”