Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Custom Anchor Rode

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Custom Anchor Rode

Postby Midnightsun » November 27th, 2021, 9:57 am

My boat came with 250' of all chain rode. Although it will definitely hold best in all conditions just due to the weight of the chain I am considering going to about 40' of 5/16" SS chain and 125, of 5/8" 8 plait rope. Chosen size is what the Maxwell 800 winch calls for. http://marinewarehouse.net/images/ancho ... manual.pdf

Why? There is no suspension on all chain which can get noisy not to mention impact forces in bad conditions. I do have a bridle that I use to add suspension once in a while but a bit of a pita to deploy. Plus I have alway wondered how in the heck can I cut free in an emergency unless I carry bolt cutters on board which would not be exactly easily done in an emergency situation.

Looking at a company in Florida that can make it custom to my choice of materials. Anyone dealt with Dark Horse Marine or have a recommendation? https://darkhorsemarine.com/
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Custom Anchor Rode

Postby g36 » November 27th, 2021, 7:47 pm

I had Defender make a custom setup for me, might give them a call but going to Canada might be cost prohibitive
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 28th, 2021, 5:49 am

Going to Canada is a 50/50 deal most of the time. Luckily my brother lives in NH where I also get the benefit of no tax. :-D Thanks, will see what Defender has to offer, have dealt with them numerous times.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 28th, 2021, 6:46 am

Not sure why but the same size/length/style product from Defender is $661 plus shipping where as Dark Horse is $386, free shipping. Dark Horse uses Premium Buccaneer rope made in USA and short link hot dipped G4 galvanized chain. Unfortunately all stainless chain at Dark Horse seems to be back ordered.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » November 28th, 2021, 6:24 pm

This time if the year you probably got plenty of time to shop around. Defender was great for me at the time but things change, good luck maybe let us know what you end up going with.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » November 29th, 2021, 7:34 pm

I was so happy when we bought our boat that it was all chain. Finally I said. When on the hook though, you need the snubber line for sure. Rattle rattle. Annoying. When we install our snubber, I use a quick disconnect on the chain portion just for that case as you stated that you must lift anchor in a hurry.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”