Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo engine exhaust elbow blowout

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
HS Voyager
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Voyager 53

Volvo engine exhaust elbow blowout

Postby HS Voyager » May 1st, 2024, 7:14 pm

Hello,
Looking for help finding the parts I need for this repair. See photo. Also any suggestions as to how to clean up the soot?
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Re: Volvo engine exhaust elbow blowout

Postby KyleR » May 1st, 2024, 10:14 pm

I have purchased custom fiberglass exhaust components through this dealer (link at bottom) and have had excellent results. They have most of the original drawings/prints for the Carver exhaust components and can get or make you one that will be an exact fit. Generally about a 3-4 week lead time for custom stuff so order early!

Rubber 90deg/45deg elbows and "hump" connectors can be found at the usual suspects: Defender, Jamestown Distributors, Fisheries Supply, etc.

I have had to replace both of my exhausts from the exhaust riser back to the muffler and these are the places I bought all my supplies. Hope it helps.

Not sure about the cleanup part! That looks pretty rough!! :-O

https://inetmarine.com/
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 1st, 2024, 11:35 pm

Do you know how the failure happened? Lack of water flow?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 2nd, 2024, 6:51 am

Oh no! I've been through this with a customer's boat. The cause was an overheat due to an impeller failure resulting from shallow water operation and ingesting debris. The overheat collapsed the inside of a section of exhaust hose, tore a section of the inside such that it created a flap inside that folded over and blocked the exhaust. The resulting back pressure blew the hose off at a joint. The fiberglass sections were all fine which doesn't seem to be the case with yours.

I would check all your exhaust hoses and look for signs of overheating, inspect the insides of the hoses, and the rest of the fiberglass joints. Do you recall any alarms? How did you know you had a problem prompting you to check the engine compartment?

The soot should come off with a good strong cleaner but you're in for a lot of elbow grease. That stuff will be in every nook and cranny possible so chances are you'll never get it all. Pull your air filter and blow it out. re-use it for the first few hours of operation after the clean up but buy a couple of new ones and use them later. The filter will collect some more loose soot during the first few hours that you weren't able to get to, no sense in collecting that with your new replacements.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 2nd, 2024, 10:25 am

BTW, you want to go prepared with head to toe disposable coveralls, full eye protection, a respirator, and gloves, you will be getting soot all over you and you don't want to inhale that stuff or get it in your eyes.

You should also consider setting up a portable compressor so you can open up electronic boxes like chargers, controllers, etc. that aren't fully sealed and blow out their insides as well as other items you can't get wet or wipe clean throughout the engine bay, engine wiring terminals, generator, etc. A strong fan at the cockpit engine hatch to exhaust anything you blow out will help move the particulates out of the engine compartment. Cover what ever you can topsides before doing that though.
Last edited by Viper on May 2nd, 2024, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 2nd, 2024, 10:56 am

Wow! Sorry dude that's really a mess, best of luck
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 2nd, 2024, 11:09 am

Yup that is ugly.....consider insurance, perhaps that may be covered to get a qualified clean up crew in there, keep the mess in one spot and don't spread it all over.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Coldcruisin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Coldcruisin » May 9th, 2024, 1:52 pm

If you tackle this by yourself:
Oil Eater
Spray Nine
Buckeye XL100
Sorry this happened. A lot of work ahead.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”