Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Winter boat storage. 36 aft cabin

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Winter boat storage. 36 aft cabin

Postby km1125 » May 21st, 2024, 10:40 pm

safeguard wrote:Source of the post
I'm at Starport. I did find all my forward carpet dripping wet just after they lowered me back in. It was coming in the anchor rode holes. I estimate 150 to 200 gallons to get that high on the floor. Fortunately it wasn't a super cold winter or could have cracked my hull. I'll address in the fall and make all aware to go bow higher and open the Stern drain.

Thanks for the reply

You should probably check, but I don't believe that any water in the forward half of the vessel will go into the engine room or to the aft cabin where the hull drain plug is. The bulkhead at the forward end of the engine room is solid down to the hull, although there is one opening (which should be sealed with silicone caulk) where wiring goes through right above the forward bilge pump.

What if you backed the boat into the slip before they hauled and blocked it for winter? Would they let you do that? Would that allow it to ride bow-high?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 22nd, 2024, 6:15 pm

Bow in or out wouldn't change anything.

I'd be surprised if they block the bow higher but it doesn't hurt to ask. I know there's more than one 3607 in there and they block them all the same so I'd be curious to know if the other owners had the same problem. I've never heard of that happening there or anywhere else.

How is On Your Way Marine working out there so far?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 22nd, 2024, 7:50 pm

I was thinking the docks (or whatever is supporting the timbers that the boat rests on) might not be level and that was complicating the situation.

In the ~28 years I had a 3607 there was only one winter (IIRC) where the boat wasn't blocked with the bow slightly high. That's all it took for the water to run off the deck and not into the boat. That one year the bow was down they had blocked it on a part of the parking lot that was not level. They tried to compensate for that but didn't fully. For me, that was only really a problem in the fall before I got the cover on and in the spring after I took the cover off but before launch.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 23rd, 2024, 7:45 pm

Typically the docks are level front to back and the timbers are placed on top of them so it doesn't matter which way the boat faces. Some are lifted bow in and some are bow out but that has more to do with the vessel's height and whether items like towers, radars, etc. will clear the roof as the roof's slope is different at the rear of the slip, at least that's the case at the marina in question.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”