Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Lagoon City Marina - Lake Simcoe - Under New Management

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Lagoon City Marina - Lake Simcoe - Under New Management

Postby After Taxes » May 4th, 2015, 7:42 pm

On May 1st, the Pride Marine Group had many staff on hand, at their official opening of Lagoon City Marina on Lake Simcoe. As the new operators, they seem to be getting quickly organized, and the management and staff were very approachable and helpful. There are over 270 slips in Lagoon City, with many anxious boaters still waiting for this season's launch. Mr. Roger Moore is the new site manager.

A familiar face to many in the boating community, Mr. Brian Berriault, previously of Midland's Bay Port Marina, has joined the Pride Group at the Lagoon City location. I watched Brian giving personal direction to a crewmember, and careful attention, as the travel lift launched a large vessel. Obviously, Brian is a pro.

If one can imagine taking over a previous marina operation [Crates of Keswick], where it has been locked up for the past five or six month, attempting to learn the location, clients, get the machinery working, the travel-lift which needed upgrading, etc., it would not be an easy task. That said, many fellow boaters I spoke with in my visit there this past weekend, had favourable comments on the new operator.

(The court appointed Receiver for bankrupt Crates Keswick, had control of the property until April 30th. Crates never owned Lagoon City Marina; they had a ten year lease from the property owner, a Toronto investment firm.)
I emphasize it was Crates Keswick that went into receivership; not to be confused with Crates Lake Country Boats Orillia, who was not affiliated with the Keswick business.

cheers all,

Steve
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Lagoon City Marina - Lake Simcoe - Under New Management

Postby Viper » July 12th, 2015, 1:37 am

The comments I’m getting from members now who decided to wait until the dust settled is that not much has changed and they are still dissapointed with the service there. A huge learning curve I'm sure though for the new operators. The biggest chanlenge IMO will be convincing the ownership to fork out for improvements/repairs that are desperately needed. This was also a big challenge for Crates and is why the property has steadily gone down hill. After all, why would anybody put cash into improving a property they don’t own. I suspect if the owners don’t meet Pride half way, nothing will change.

We are now finding out just how bad a shape things were left in when Crates parted ways. Everything from no water at slips due to frozen lines, to cracked blocks from lack of winterizing. What a mess. Pride has their hands full! I wish them luck, it’s a nice marina and destination.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”