Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Best Marine Varnish

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 2687 Monterey

Best Marine Varnish

Postby dcrahn » May 30th, 2015, 7:24 am

Who makes it? I've had boats my whole life, but none had any wood so this is not something I know a whole lot about. Back in the day (60's) my Dad had a 26' Owens that was all mahogany, and back in those days it was just a plain old varnish that didn't last very long. I'm sure that in the last 50 years that leaps and bounds have been made in this area especially dealing with UV. What are ya'll using?

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Best Marine Varnish

Postby waybomb » May 30th, 2015, 9:12 am

My choice would be the sickens products. If you follow the instructors to the letter the finish will last a long time and all you will have to do as maintenance is a light sand and recoat at some point
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

BobWaz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 380 Santego 330 HP Crusaders

Re: Best Marine Varnish

Postby BobWaz » May 30th, 2015, 9:29 am

Being born in the early 50's and boating by the 60's have held many a varnish brush. In my Island Gypsy wood trawler, I became a good friend and supporter of Epifanes. The great thing about it is that you can re-coat within 48 hours without sanding between coats. For a fantastic looking interior, do 4 coats of gloss followed by 2 coats of satin. The satin will hide any imperfections and reduce glare. With the gloss underneath will look like you would have to reach through the finish to touch the grain of the wood.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”