Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

MMSI Number

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

MMSI Number

Postby RGrew176 » August 28th, 2015, 4:32 am

I just purchased a new to me boat a Carver 3007 Aft Cabin.. The marine radio onboard does not seem to be working so I plan to get a new radio. I want to get one of the newer radios with the DSC function, I believe its called so I need to apply for an MMSI number. I understand you can get one through the Boat US website. I went to the site and one of the questions asked is do you plan to boat outside the U.S. I answered yes as I am in Michigan and will go to Canada a lot. The Boat US site says:

ATTENTION!
BoatU.S. can provide MMSI numbers only for equipment that is carried on US registered/documented recreational vessels that are not required to have an FCC Ship Station License and operate exclusively in US waters.

If your boat is registered or documented in another country, you will need to obtain an MMSI number from that country.

If you have a Ship Station License from the FCC (required for all vessels over 65 or equipped with a satellite phone or MF/HF or SSB radios, as well as for any vessel cruising internationally), you probably have already been issued an internationally accessible MMSI. Check the License Certificate for a nine digit number, most likely beginning with 366 or 367. If you are required to have a Ship Station License, you can obtain an MMSI number by filing FCC Schedule B with Form 605 when you apply. You will receive your MMSI number with your license.

BoatUS assigned MMSI data is stored in the Coast Guard SAR database. It is not included in the International SAR database. If you ever intend to operate the equipment outside of US waters, you need to obtain an FCC Ship Station License and an international MMSI.

Attention Vessels belonging to Federal Agencies
Federal users must obtain MMSI assignments from their agency radio spectrum management office in accordance with Section 6.6 of the NTIA Manual. Official DHS and U.S. Coast Guard users can obtain an MMSI through Commandant (CG-652) in accordance with Commandant Instruction M2000.3D, Section 11.D. U.S. Coast Auxiliary surface vessel operators should request assignment of MMSIs using the same method as for a U.S. Non-Federal user.

It will not allow me to continue the process to get the number. What do I do? Do I lie and say I will not travel outside U.S. waters and get the number or just continue on without one.

I am at a crossroads here.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: MMSI Number

Postby waybomb » August 28th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Interesting question.
With all the US vessels along the St Clair River, Lake St Clair, Detroit River, and Lake Erie, I can not imagine that none if them have MMSI numbers, or the ones that do, do not enter Canuck's waters and ports.

My boats are still on the other side of the state, but at least one will be over here next year, and it has a radio with a MMSI number set.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » August 28th, 2015, 10:10 pm

It is an interesting situation. On the Boat US site if you answer the question about taking the boat outside of U.S. waters with a yes it stops the process then and there. If you answer no you can continue on with the application. I also posted this on the Boat US website too so I hope to get an answer there.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » August 28th, 2015, 10:42 pm

This is the answer I got from Boat US:

While in Canadian territory, it is a ticket-able offense to operate, or possess, a radio apparatus without a radio authorization. The fine is $250 for individuals. It is encouraged to obtain a ship station license before entering foreign national water. The FCC ship station license is recognized through a Canada-USA bilateral agreement. Please see attached links below to access the necessary forms to obtain your FCC Ship Station License and International MMSI.

FCC Gettysburg, PA 877-480-3201 opt 2 Universal Licensing System (ULS) Hotline, now called "Licensing Support Center" - knowledgeable and helpful staff for questions & personal assistance

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls - to access the following necessary forms, by number

Form 160 (FRN) FCC registration # - free - personal ID good for life - for FCC system use only - must have/get one to do business w/ FCC https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/regEntityType.do

Form 605 - Ship Station License, for boat $215 for 10 yrs ($15 refund of the regulatory fee portion for each remaining year of the term if cancelled prior to expiration) http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.pdf

Need following addenda to the Form 605

Sched B gets your vessel an internationally recognized & accessible MMSI - free - use same MMSI with AIS and (generally) all DSC radios onboard http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605b.pdf

Sched E (rrtop)(RR) - permit to use a marine radio $65 - your personal permit, good for life (Note distinction: vessel needs LICENSE; you need PERMIT) http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605e.pdf

Form 1070Y (fee schedule) - just to verify the prices above https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attac ... 329377A1.p df

Form 159 (Remittance Advice form, not needed if submitted online) tells FCC how to allocate funds http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form159/159.pdf

Turnaround time for online applications is now on the order of only about 24 hours. Once you receive notification of approval of your application, you can then print your Station License Certificate, which is required to be posted on the bulkhead near the vessel’s radio equipment.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Return to “General Boating Discussion”