Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

12 volt interior lights

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
Bruce
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 3250 aft carver.

12 volt interior lights

Postby Bruce » January 23rd, 2016, 12:23 am

When I went to turn on my interior cabin lights they didn't come on. All the switches that should be on are on. The battery switch is also on. Everything else connected to the batteries works, engines, fathometer, etc. Is there a relay switch somewhere that could have been tripped? Any suggestions would be helpful. My boat is a 1998 3250 aft cabin.

Canada
Capt Happy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1974 16 Foot ex DFO Lapstrake Speedboat
1985 21 Foot Baby Cape Islander
1977 26 Foot Trojan F-26 Cruiser
1997 Carver 320 Voyager

12 volt interior lights

Postby Capt Happy » January 23rd, 2016, 6:38 am

Bruce,

Are all the interior lights controlled by one switch?
On the Voyager there are four switches for different areas.
I would start by using a multi-meter to confirm power up to the switch.

There are most likely two other reset breakers located around your battery selector switch, confirm one of these have not tripped. You would still have power to your engine and anything connected to this circuit, although the other one may be at fault. If memory serves correct they are probably labeled approx. 25 amp and need to be depressed to reset.

If all good then confirm contacts for light switch are all clean and remain connected.

After verifying power out from the switch, its probably a matter of tracing wires.
Not sure if your manual contains a wiring schematic for lighting or not, but if so it would indicate the first light in the sequence.

Hope this helps somewhat.
cheers

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

12 volt interior lights

Postby CYO Admin » January 23rd, 2016, 7:30 am

Could they be on the same circuit as a GFCI outlet that needs to be reset?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

12 volt interior lights

Postby Viper » January 23rd, 2016, 8:56 am

From what I gather, it's the 12 volt lighting that is not working so outlet failure wouldn't apply. Is ALL the lighting in the boat down or just one section like fwd cabin or mid or aft? Depending on the boat, they're typically on separate circuits controlled by separate switches and usually separate circuit breakers. If that's the case and they are all down, then it's likely an issue at the source such as the electrical panel or the battery bank. There may also be a bad ground common to all the lighting circuits.

If it's just one section that's affected, then the fault could be anywhere from the breaker in the panel to bulbs in the fixture and everything in between such as switch, wiring, dimmer, etc. Check the easy stuff first like the bulbs. If you're sure they're okay, get a volt meter and check the source side of the on/off light switch. If you have 12 volts there but not on the load side of the switch when it's truned on, then the problem is the switch. You'll have to pick up a ground somewhere to get a reading though as there are usually only positive wires at a switch unless the switch has an indicator light. You can also test the switch by checking continuity with a meter. If you don't have 12 volts on the load side, then the fault is from the switch to the source which could be wiring and panel.

If there's continuity through the switch or 12 volts on the load side, then the problem is after the switch, between there and the light fixture; wiring, ground, fixture, bulb, etc.

Ensure that you have good, clean, tight, corrosion free connections everywhere.

Keep us posted.

Topic author
Bruce
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 3250 aft carver.

12 volt interior lights

Postby Bruce » January 26th, 2016, 2:19 pm

I found the problem. It was the switches by the Battery switch that had been turned off. It seems when I pull the step up to get the boat keys & put them back, I somehow flipped the switches off. Thank you all for the assistance.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

12 volt interior lights

Postby RGrew176 » January 26th, 2016, 11:35 pm

You gotta love it when you find the simple solution to a problem. Still, I bet you had to rack your brain for awhile trying to figure it out. I have been there myself a few times.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

12 volt interior lights

Postby Viper » January 28th, 2016, 7:36 am

We've all been there, like making sure the lamp is plugged in before you replace the light bulb ;-)

Return to “General Boating Discussion”