Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Question about Fuel Economy

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
USAFRet
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 280 Express
5.7Ltr Penta DuoProp

Question about Fuel Economy

Postby USAFRet » June 25th, 2013, 7:45 pm

The engine cruise RPM is 3100-3200. Max RPM is 4600, it reaches 4100 with the current setup. In general, is the economy at 1500 rpm (around 12 mph by my gps) similar to the higher, cruise setting? I'm sure the fuel usage rate is down but I'm also travelling 10-12 mph slower than at 3100 rpm. :confused:

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Re: Question about Fuel Economy

Postby CYO Admin » June 26th, 2013, 7:39 am

I would expect some where around 30 GPH (give or take) at cruise for twin 5.7's

United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Postby Seif911 » June 26th, 2013, 8:08 am

From everything I have read, you hit it on the head. I have a performance chart for my boat and it is right on. The 1500 RPM's will put my boat at 7 MPH and approximately 2.0 MPG, at 3600 RPM's I am doing about 19 MPH but with the trim tabs down I am suppose to be getting 1.4 MPG. Pretty much all the rest of the RPM's will give me .9 MPG.

This is a according to the chart. Real life application, got me? I am banking that the charts are correct. I know some of these guys have the electronics tied to the fuel flow so they have real world numbers. At the cost of gas and depending on how much you use, it may just pay for itself.
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

Topic author
USAFRet
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 280 Express
5.7Ltr Penta DuoProp

Postby USAFRet » June 26th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Thanks for your responses - this is a single engine power plant. I used ~34 gallons over the 9 hour cruise, and my GPS app estimated the trip length to be 58 miles. These figures are rough, but that equates to 1.7mpg and 3.7 gph across a huge variety of throttle and RPM settings. I can try the 1500 rpm on my next fill up and base my fuel rate on the engine meter and gps miles travelled to get a little closer to a realistic figure.

I have next to no experience in vessels this size, but I based my driving style on the owner's manual and experience on smaller, open bow boats- "bow up" on the hull trim tabs, throttle up to planning speed, throttle back to cruise rpm, adjust outdrive to obtain best speed and small hull trim adjustments when needed. Most of my cruising will be at slower speeds (less than on plane) so I hope the 1500 rpm setting will provide better economy. If not, it's "ONLY MONEY" and I'll have to deal with it.

Please correct or advise if there is a better approach to this or my throttle strategy.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”