Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Will Need New Batteries

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Will Need New Batteries

Postby RGrew176 » April 29th, 2016, 5:00 am

When I bought my boat last August I had no idea how old the batteries are. I knew one was weak and I planned to get new ones this year. Last Saturday I went down to the boat to start prepping it for spring launch. I turned on the battery switch and nothing, nada, batteries stone cold dead. Now which battery to purchase.

My last boat the 3055 had a 4 battery setup. When I bought the boat it came with a 2 battery setup. I had the dealer install 2 additional batteries so I had 4. My first battery failure happened late in the 2004 season. In the spring of 2005 I purchased 4 new Sears Diehard Deep Cycle Marine batteries. They were still going strong in August of 2011 when I sold the boat or almost 7 full seasons of use. When winter layup happened I just shut off both battery switches and I never had a problem come spring when I first fired up. I was mildly surprised in 2011 when the boat fired up on the first try.

I will replace the current batteries in the Carver before I take her out the first time. I went to Sears yesterday and I priced the Diehard Group 27 Deep Cycle batteries at $126 each.

Today I went to Sams Club and they have Duracell Group 27 Deep Cycle Marine batteries for $96 each. Has anyone tried or used Duracell Deep Cycle marine batteries and what was your experience with them. I am still leaning towards the Diehard because I had such a great experience the last time I bought them. I would consider the Duracell if they come with good reviews.

What say ye Carver owners. Duracell or Diehard or do you recommend another brand.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Re: Will Need New Batteries

Postby Ramsport47 » April 29th, 2016, 6:13 am

At the marina I work at, we have replaced a lot of fairly new Duracell and Die Hard batteries. We use Vita Plate batteries...which should be available in your area, and Harris batteries. Vita Plate are probably the best I've seen and are priced similarly to the majority of batteries. I have also seen very poor performance out of West Marine batteries...my .02.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » April 29th, 2016, 9:15 am

I dunno Rick, you are only talking a $30 a battery for the confidence factor. I would gladly pay that for what I know and am comfortable with vs an unknown quantity....
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

tonym
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1980 Santa Cruz 2866
T302 pleasure crafts
B/W velvets

Postby tonym » April 29th, 2016, 10:13 am

As a builder of powered mobile equipment I can tell you we have tested a lot of batteries.
We use exclusively Discover(Harris) and PowerSonic for our deep cycle application. Not always the cheapest but darn reliable.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 29th, 2016, 7:16 pm

Heres another for ya, I have used Costco batteries ( kirkland) for years with great success,from what I am given to understand their batteries come from Johnson controls, good stuff, never had an issue and their stuff is fresh.....used in the boat( start and house) and cars....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » April 29th, 2016, 10:28 pm

[quote="Ramsport47"]Source of the post At the marina I work at, we have replaced a lot of fairly new Duracell and Die Hard batteries. We use Vita Plate batteries...which should be available in your area, and Harris batteries. Vita Plate are probably the best I've seen and are priced similarly to the majority of batteries. I have also seen very poor performance out of West Marine batteries...my .02.[/quote

I will check them out as I am still in the looking stage.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » April 29th, 2016, 10:34 pm

+1 on the Costco bats...make that +7 total. Although the start battery in my dingy is an Optima AGM dated 1995!
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Return to “General Boating Discussion”