Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Boat trim after Seakeeper Install

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
HaveADay
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver Voyager 570
Volvo-Penta D12-675

Boat trim after Seakeeper Install

Postby HaveADay » June 1st, 2016, 9:31 pm

Hello all,

This winter I installed a Seakeeper 9 on my 2003 Carver Voyager 570. The stabilizer is as far back as it can be on the center line in the engine room. This was pretty much the only location available and also seemed like a good location.

Fast forward to this spring. The boat which has always been a little stern heavy, especially when full of fuel, went into the water with about 1/3 tank of fuel. It sat a little stern low but nothing worse than I'd seen previously.

This spring I also noticed that I wasn't able to make maximum RPMs on the engines nor was I able to hit the 30ish knots I'd previously been able to achieve. I had my props tuned this winter so that represents another variable. Once the boat went in the water I went about reconfiguring some of the weight on the boat. I added a set of spare props and located them as far forward as possible and on the starboard side to counteract a little bit of port list, likely coming from my dinghy.

So, this weekend I filled the boat with fuel. That was an addition of about 550 gallons of fuel which is just over two tons of fuel. The fuel tanks are located about two feet forward of the front edge of the Seakeeper, but overall still pretty far back in the boat. With the tanks full the bottom of the swim platform is just touching the water. A protractor shows about 3 degrees stern low.

The Seakeeper weighs 1,200 pounds, the structure added for it is about 300 pounds and there's probably close to 100 pounds of ancillary gear for it.

I've added 1200 pounds of sand to the bow to try and figure out what it's going to take to regain the trim on the boat. The sand is located under the front berth in the VIP which is pretty darn far forward. So, the question is, how much more weight do I add? I am nervous about putting too much weight in one specific spot as well as just adding more weight to the boat overall. I'd definitely welcome any insight.

Thanks
Ben

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Boat trim after Seakeeper Install

Postby mjk1040 » June 3rd, 2016, 5:27 am

Ben, your really getting technical here, LOL. Have you tried contacting Carver Yachts, you may be surprised. You stated you compensated for the addition of the Seakeeper, how about the dingy, etc. Maybe the counter weight should be distributed bow and mid ship too. You are most likely going to lose speed because you have added some serious weight. You may have to consider a different prop configuration to compensate for the added weight. I questioned a carver mechanic this spring after having my props tuned up as to why the props on my Carver 355 where not what the original specs stated. His answer was carver had an issue with this years model keeping the rpm's in check, solution was to change the prop pitch. Sorry I do not have a simple answer for you, but I'm sure you will find it. Happy voyages-Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “General Boating Discussion”