Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Long Island, NY to Savannah, Ga

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
Reel Slow
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 444 CMY - New Owner

Long Island, NY to Savannah, Ga

Postby Reel Slow » June 17th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Good afternoon! As a new member and new Carver owner.....Looking for some advice already. We purchased the 2003 444 CMY up on Long Island, NY and ultimately, need to get it to Panama City Beach, FL. Wanting to do this in 2 legs (NY-Savannah) (Savanna-PCB). Lots of info about the ICW but not much about taking her on the outside for purposes of time. Yes, there are risks in regard to weather, but outside of that.....is it a bad idea?

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Long Island, NY to Savannah, Ga

Postby Hugo » June 24th, 2016, 11:02 am

Congrats. I have the same boat and know it well. Was the owners name Steve? I looked at same year and model up there many years ago...

What motors do you have?

I see no reason why you couldn't run outside in good weather. I've had mine in 3-4' many times and the boat is fine. In a strong headwind you will get spray up on the bridge...

You will get a lot of southerly wind along the jersey coast and Carolinas this time of the year so just be aware of that...

Topic author
Reel Slow
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 444 CMY - New Owner

Postby Reel Slow » June 26th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Good afternoon ~ Yes, same boat I suspect. It has the Volvos in it with low hours - it's still up there getting a few things done (cutlass bearings, filters, belts, etc....) along with installing auto-pilot & updated sonar/GPS/plotter. Any warnings/advice are surely appreciated!

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » July 1st, 2016, 3:11 pm

I have another post on here showing pictures of what I did to my exhaust, take a look at it. If you have the factory Carver/volvo setup at some point when the exhaust mixer coming off the turbo lets go the seawater will find it's way into the turbos and/ or engine. It happens, it's just a matter of time... Good luck with the boat and ask any questions you may have.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”