Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

I Installed My New VHF Antenna Today

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

I Installed My New VHF Antenna Today

Postby RGrew176 » June 30th, 2016, 12:05 am

Last week (Friday) I purchased a new VHF antenna for the boat to go with my new VHF radio. I was not sure how old the previous antenna was so I thought it prudent to upgrade to a new one. West Marine had a sale last week and VHF antennas were some of the items on sale.

I purchased a new Shakespeare Mariner 8900 antenna, see link below:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/shakespea ... r--6966071

Sale price is $167.99 30% off the regular $239.99. I feel that is a good buy. There are 4 antennas in the series, 8300, 8500, 8700 and 8900. With the sale price I decided to go with the top of the line antenna in this series.

The installation job was pretty straightforward. I cut the cord from the old antenna and removed it from the mount. I fed the new coax into the hole and taped it to the old coax to pull it through to the VHF. It uses a simple gold plated connection. I fed the coax into the connector, crimped it where needed and then I connected it to the radio.

I turned the radio on. Where before I only received 3 of 10 weather channel broadcasts I now receive 7 of 10 a definite improvement. I then called out for a radio check. After a couple of tries I got an answer back. I am in Bolles Harbor (Monroe Michigan) I got a call back from Rescue Marine in Marblehead Ohio. I got out my chart to check the distance. He is 35 miles away from my location. He did say there was a bit of static and I also from him but I could clearly hear him and he me from 35 miles away. There is a bit of land and buildings between me and Lake Erie and the same for him so I am definitely happy with this new antenna so far.

I can't wait to get out on the open lake and see just how good it really is.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: I Installed My New VHF Antenna Today

Postby AaHubb » June 30th, 2016, 8:12 pm

New antenna .. $167.99
Knowing you can call for help in the middle of nowhere .. Priceless!
:approve:
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Return to “General Boating Discussion”