Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Deck crane

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Deck crane

Postby bud37 » August 30th, 2016, 7:00 pm

I see where you are coming from with the load on the platform, but the stress load as I see it,is a point load at the base of the crane itself....1200 lbs on a 4' to 5' arm is a considerable amount more than the 1200, can't remember all the formulas but probably 3 to 4 times. A properly engineered set up would avoid the damage to the transom/ platform supports.

Wonder if you could call Carver and get some numbers to be sure...I remember a boat here that had a locally made stainless work of art on the back for the dink , stairs etc, lots of transom support as I remember him telling me..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » August 30th, 2016, 10:29 pm

From my post secondary education which added nothing to my career lol, the formula for a bending moment is mass x distance = bending moment. So, 1000lbs at 60" from the transom equates to a 5000lb load at the point of contact with the transom.

There is a local guy to Midland that makes those things you are talking about, I got a brochure last summer from C02 Inflatables. The design basically uses metal cables running back in and thru the transom and then tied down to the stringers. It looks nice from the outside but looks like Frankenstein on the inside...

I have decided not to go with a deck crane and am going to go with the Hurley H30+ system. I emailed Hurley and was told that the limit is 800lbs on the lift and it is only limited by the winch. If I omitt the winch they offer and go with a custom Warn winch at 2000lbs capactity, the system would work fine.

Looking at my swim platform design and construction, I can't see it not holding 1000+ pounds. The load that it would be under acting as a planing surface trying to keep the bow down would be much heavier than the 5000lbs at 60", and it would not be a static load.

Im going to email Carver, but I have a strange feeling I'm not going to get a "commited" answer....
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » August 31st, 2016, 9:15 pm

Lyndon670 wrote:Source of the post
Carver says don't put more than 600 lbs back there but who really knows...

Where did you find this Hugo as I am interested in the data that proves/disproves it. I can't find it anywhere. I was anchored last weekend and had a Carver 564 anchored just across the bay from me with a new Seadoo 215 on the back platform. That machine is 1200lbs. I had 8 people on my platform this summer of various sizes which would equate to at least 1000lbs going on the low side (probably more like 1300lbs).

The 466, 506 and 564 have the platform which is part of the hull design and is actually designed as a giant trim tab. from 8-11kts the platform actually goes 2" under water acting as a tab. While docked, the bottom of the platform actually touches the water.

I heard of issues with the seaweed lifts haven't actually seen one with a problem. My buddy has a Silverton 453 with one and it is a piece of art. The welds are top notch and the finish quality is spectacular. I just don't like the way it uses so much of the available real estate on the platform.

I called Carver and that's what they told me. They said they didn't have an exact number but didn't recommend going over 600lbs. That was for a 444 but they told me that was the recommendation for most of the larger models. The issue isn't when docked or anchored, I bet we can put 20 people on the swim platform without an issue, the issue is the dynamic loads underway which are difficult to predict. I would think that if you're in calm water it's probably okay...

Call them and ask for service, they're very nice to deal with...

I saw a seaweed in person also and it did look like a quality piece but Viper's observations don't sound good. The big extended one sits way off the swim platform but I'm not sure I like the idea of all the weight that far aft.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » August 31st, 2016, 9:21 pm

Im going to email Carver, but I have a strange feeling I'm not going to get a "commited" answer....

Yea don't e-mail they won't answer for liability reasons probably. Call and talk to them, you won't get an exact number but let's see if you get the 600 lbs number also.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » August 31st, 2016, 9:36 pm

I have decided not to go with a deck crane and am going to go with the Hurley H30+ system. I emailed Hurley and was told that the limit is 800lbs on the lift and it is only limited by the winch. If I omitt the winch they offer and go with a custom Warn winch at 2000lbs capactity, the system would work fine.

Lyndon, I was looking at that Davit on their site and I only saw pictures with the Seadoo spark which is less than half the weight of most wave runners. They said it would support a 1000lb machine?

Let us know how it goes, it's a more economical option for sure...

Topic author Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » September 1st, 2016, 2:36 am

Hugo,

Ya, the H30 will handle the Spark which weighs 375lbs (dry). The H30+ is rated for 725lbs and according to Hurley, is limited to 800lbs only by its electric winch. There is a link on the website of an H30 (non plus) installation where the guy is using an electric winch to haul up a 650lb RIb.

From their website:

"The NEW H3O+ (Plus) Dinghy Davit has all the great features of the H3O but is larger for heavier loads, includes inner bunks and comes standard with an Electric 12v Winch and 6′ Winch Arm. The H3O+ (Plus) can muscle unto 725 pounds (328.85 kg) and longer loads upto 13′ (3.96m) with ease. Hand Winch also available".

My Seadoo 4TEc GTI weighs 732 dry, so I'm adding 100lbs for fuel and gear.

Does anyone have a number for Carver's service? The number I came up with goes to their employment office....
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » September 1st, 2016, 6:36 pm

Lyndon, you call Marquis yachts at 920-822-3214. Ask for Carver service, they will answer the phone as Marquis Yachts.

Topic author Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » September 1st, 2016, 8:31 pm

Thanks pal, much appreciate it. I will call them tomorrow and post my response.

Cheers!
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “General Boating Discussion”