Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Deck crane

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Deck crane

Postby Lyndon670 » August 14th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Looking for an "affordable" deck crane to lift my seadoo out of the water and set it onto my swim platform. The seadoo is 1000lbs (wet). I am aware of the usual suspects - Nautical Structures, Avant ex Global, etc - but these guys are Maga yacht crane suppliers. I am considering using a local machine shop to fabricate something if I can't locate something "off the shelf". The Voyagers had an optional roof crane as does the Marquis. This crane would only need to lift the 1000lbs 24" out of the water and I would manually turn it to set it on chocks.

I have looked into truck mounted material handling cranes that are very interesting and I may go that route.

If anybody has had a crane built locally I would be interested in your experience...
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Deck crane

Postby mjk1040 » August 15th, 2016, 5:54 am

Check Harbor Freight, u may have to modify it for ur application but they r inexpensive. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 15th, 2016, 9:01 am

Does the roof have any different supports when it has the factory installed crane? Just thinking about how the load is distributed.Have you considered the guys who make the davits and such in Ontario ( Atkins and Hoyle), they make everything I believe and maybe could help with your project.I talked to them at the boat show and seemed like very nice people. :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » August 17th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Bud37, I wouldn't even consider putting it on the hardtop where the Voyagers have theirs. Mine is going to go adjacent to the curved entry staircase on the swim platform. I actually did email Atkins and Hoyle but to be honest I wasn't impressed with their response. I'll wait and talk to them at the boat show in January.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » August 23rd, 2016, 1:53 pm

I've been looking into this also. Carver says don't put more than 600 lbs back there but who really knows...

Have you looked at seaweed marine tend'r rollers instead of a crane? I'm considering that since a crane to lift a waverunner itself is going to be into the 250lb plus range or more if hydraulic and the rollers are 130lbs. You really need a 10-20% reserve; so for 1000lb machine the crane needs to be for 1200-1400lb to be safe and not have an issue with it not being able to lift if some water got in it for example...

I would put five 200lb guys back there and go for a ride before you do it, you may need more tab or more chain in the locker to offset some of the weight. These boats are already under powered to begin with...

I agree though all the marine answers are over priced.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » August 23rd, 2016, 9:09 pm

Lyndon670 wrote:Source of the post Bud37, I wouldn't even consider putting it on the hardtop where the Voyagers have theirs. Mine is going to go adjacent to the curved entry staircase on the swim platform. I actually did email Atkins and Hoyle but to be honest I wasn't impressed with their response. I'll wait and talk to them at the boat show in January.

Yikes Lyndon.... lets not be throwing that whole January image around.... Brrrrrrrrrrr. :banghead:
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 23rd, 2016, 10:10 pm

Hugo wrote:Source of the post....Have you looked at seaweed marine tend'r rollers......

Personally I'm not crazy about that unit. I've seen a lot of failures; adjustable joint welds breaking off, etc. while under way. I'm sure there are folks out there that have had success with them and good things to say but not me!

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » August 25th, 2016, 4:17 pm

Interesting, I didn't know that they had problems with them...

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 25th, 2016, 9:38 pm

I've seen a few failures on boats I've serviced, four of which ended up loosing the tenders while underway. Nothing catastrophic as they were all noticed in time to be recovered but could just as easily have been much worse. One's natural thought would be that they were installed wrong however every one of them was installed by their authorized installers. It seems to me that the design just puts too much stress in some key areas that eventually let go. I suppose if you're always crawling along in very calm seas you'd be okay but that's not very realistic. While every piece of equipment can be expected to have a failure rate, what I've experienced in my little corner is a pretty high rate considering there really aren't that many of them around in my area. Again, I'm sure there are those that are quite happy with their units, this is just my opinion based on my observations.

Topic author Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » August 30th, 2016, 3:31 pm

Carver says don't put more than 600 lbs back there but who really knows...

Where did you find this Hugo as I am interested in the data that proves/disproves it. I can't find it anywhere. I was anchored last weekend and had a Carver 564 anchored just across the bay from me with a new Seadoo 215 on the back platform. That machine is 1200lbs. I had 8 people on my platform this summer of various sizes which would equate to at least 1000lbs going on the low side (probably more like 1300lbs).

The 466, 506 and 564 have the platform which is part of the hull design and is actually designed as a giant trim tab. from 8-11kts the platform actually goes 2" under water acting as a tab. While docked, the bottom of the platform actually touches the water.

I heard of issues with the seaweed lifts haven't actually seen one with a problem. My buddy has a Silverton 453 with one and it is a piece of art. The welds are top notch and the finish quality is spectacular. I just don't like the way it uses so much of the available real estate on the platform.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “General Boating Discussion”