Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Marquis Construction and Performance Questions

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
Alex F
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Marquis Construction and Performance Questions

Postby Alex F » August 28th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Greetings all,

New member here looking for some knowledge on Marquis models 55LS and 59. I’ve tried search the web for Marquis forum, but everything is pointed to here. Thus, if I’m in the wrong area, I’d appreciate some directions.

My basic questions are related to the hull construction of the boats. Are they cored or solid glass or combination? In regards to performance, what power plant would be ideal? I’ve seen two different packages, Volvos D12s vs. Series 60 MTU. Can anyone share their experience? What’s your normal cruising speed/RPMs/fuel burn? What’s your maintenance experience?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex.

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Re: Marquis Construction and Performance Questions

Postby Ramsport47 » September 1st, 2016, 6:29 am

Marquis are made like Carvers in that they are solid fiberglass below the waterline and balsa cored in the hull sides with fiberglass stringer system. A molded top hat system that is bonded into the hull while the hull is still in the mold. as far as performance, I would go with the bigger engines, as you never know when you night need the extra power. The 59 is a good running boat with a soft, dry ride. I have not been on a 55LS
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Topic author
Alex F
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Alex F » September 2nd, 2016, 12:10 am

Ramsport47 wrote:Source of the post Marquis are made like Carvers in that they are solid fiberglass below the waterline and balsa cored in the hull sides with fiberglass stringer system. A molded top hat system that is bonded into the hull while the hull is still in the mold. as far as performance, I would go with the bigger engines, as you never know when you night need the extra power. The 59 is a good running boat with a soft, dry ride. I have not been on a 55LS

I appreciate the reply. So far I've seen only two power package options, Volvo D12s (715HP) or Series 60 MTUs (825HP). I assume that you recommend going with MTUs. Are there any other options that were offered on 59?

Does anyone have experience with those MTUs? Were there any known issues? What do 59s with MTUs cruise at?

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Ramsport47 » September 2nd, 2016, 6:15 am

I believe, in the 59, those were the only 2 options. I seem to remember some issues on larger MTU engines, but nothing springs to mind about the 825. The boat is fantastic, as you'll find as soon as you sea trial one. The early 59..prior to the "Markham" edition have the sink in an "island" and then they moved it to the side and opened up the pilothouse area. My choice would be the later version as there is more room to move about the raised area and brings it into the salon better.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

United States of America
Audacia
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2008 Marquis 59

Postby Audacia » January 5th, 2017, 12:23 pm

I have a 2008 with the VP D12@775hp. Loaded up, I cruise at 20 knots and top out at 29 knots. The MTU's will give you 3 or 4 knots at the top end. In 2007 they started offering a variety of engine options including Cat's and MTU 8V2000's.

I wanted to contradict one statement made above...this is not a dry boat. It has a great ride and extremely well built. After thousands of miles, the boat does not creak or groan one bit. The fiberglass work is impeccable. I only have one small spot of hairline cracks in the gelcoat on the entire boat. Very impressed and would buy the same boat again. Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further.

Topic author
Alex F
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Alex F » January 7th, 2017, 12:39 am

Audacia wrote:Source of the post I have a 2008 with the VP D12@775hp. Loaded up, I cruise at 20 knots and top out at 29 knots. The MTU's will give you 3 or 4 knots at the top end. In 2007 they started offering a variety of engine options including Cat's and MTU 8V2000's.

I wanted to contradict one statement made above...this is not a dry boat. It has a great ride and extremely well built. After thousands of miles, the boat does not creak or groan one bit. The fiberglass work is impeccable. I only have one small spot of hairline cracks in the gelcoat on the entire boat. Very impressed and would buy the same boat again. Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further.

It's great to hear positive review after putting good mileage on your boat. I'm learning that VP came up with upgraded version for D12 from 715HP to 800HP in around 2007, that's when I've noticed 55LS having them as a power package. Most of the reports I've heard or seen, showed 59 at about 16MPH as cruising speed. It seems like upgraded 800HP version is able to give the 59 extra 5-6kts or so at cruise.

What is the fuel burn you observe at 20kts? Can you recommend a source for 59 Specs Sheet and also for the engine's maintenance schedule? I tried google search for SS, but got very basic brochure with general info for 50/55LS/59, with not much technical data.

Also, what's your opinion/experience on VP D12-800 vs. MTU 60 Series? At this point I'm in favor of D12 for reputation, parts and service availability. I'd love to have and appreciate most powerful power package for a vessel, but I'd hate to be in a situation of being stuck with limited/expensive parts and service for German blocks. This is the biggest issue I have when I come across vessels equipped with MANs.

United States of America
Audacia
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2008 Marquis 59

Postby Audacia » January 27th, 2017, 9:43 am

The Volvo Penta D12-800 manual is available on line and include full maintenance schedule:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/81638 ... tml#manual

The boat (fully loaded) cruises at 20 knots and burns 45-50 gallons/hr@1850rpms. My impression is that people prefer the MTU because of the slight increase in HP and top end speed. Most of the Marquis 59's on the market have the MTU. I have been completely satisfied with the D12-800. No issues and near 1500 hrs.

I would be glad to answer any other questions you have.

United States of America
arallo28@hotmail.com
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby arallo28@hotmail.com » March 13th, 2024, 9:03 pm

Hello - I currently have a 4300 tiara sauvron and contemplating moving up to a 59 Marquis. I am looking at two models near me. One is a 2006 with no helm on the main deck so you get the big salon and the other is an 07 with the lower helm station. Both have the 825 MTU and under 1k hours. Any suggestions? Do you folks /use the lower helm? It looks like pretty low visibility and in the Pacific Northwest we get lots of stuff in the water. How is your boat in the rough stuff?

Much appreciated

United States of America
trwestman
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 506
Configured as a Soft-Top Bridge with Glass Aft-Deck
Cummins 450C (480hp) ~725 hours

Postby trwestman » March 16th, 2024, 6:36 am

IMHO, If you have good protection on the bridge, there would never be a reason to use the lower helm and most use is at the dock where extra space in the salon is appreciated. Good Luck!
Tom
2002 506

Return to “General Boating Discussion”