Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Products to clean, polish my dirty Carver Riviera?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
MikeL77
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Riviera 1987
Twin Crusader 305's

Products to clean, polish my dirty Carver Riviera?

Postby MikeL77 » September 8th, 2016, 4:23 pm

I bought a dirty '87 Carver Riviera that needs it's fiberglass cleaned and polished. It's on the dry. A friend has suggested Slimy Grimy powder mixed in a 1 gallon spray container to wash it with. I also have a small low powered electric power washer to rinse it off.

It's my understanding I should use something to clean and prep the fiberglass gel coat after washing. What product should be used to do this, and HOW do you do it?

Then I will polish it with my electric orbital polisher. What product should I use for polish?

Thanks! I would appreciate any advise you may have.
Mike L.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Products to clean, polish my dirty Carver Riviera?

Postby waybomb » September 8th, 2016, 6:54 pm

Just use a boat soap and wash as you would a car.

Forget about an orbital. Get your self a Makita power buffer and a few bonnets.

Watch a bunch of YouTube videos on using the machine. It's simple, just keep it moving.

If the gell is still shiny use 3m polishing compound for boats then some polymer wax. If very oxidized, start with the coarse 3m perfectit. Then on to 3m boat polish. Then get some polymer wax on it.

If the gel has bird crap stains, use scrubbing bubbles or orange clean and a brush to get it off. Works well on spider crap to.

Use plexus vinyl polish on the vinyl after you wash it with water.

For the sumbrella, use downy in cold water. Extra rinse. Then get it on the boat before it dries. It shrinks as it dries.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » September 8th, 2016, 9:33 pm

MPD cleans everything and its environmentally friendly. They have a facebook page. 3m Restorer Wax works great and Bass Pro has the same thing and is less expensive, then polymer if you think it needs it. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 8th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Just wash it. Then use a buffer. i 2nd the makita mentioned above. I used meguires mirror glaze 105 cut compound then 2nd step was meguires mirror glaze polish 7 on another bonnet and then last step hand wax with meguires 26 yellow wax. The more coats of wax the better lasting protection. Looks awesome.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”