Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

so i want to buy a 88 Carver 3207 aft cabin

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

so i want to buy a 88 Carver 3207 aft cabin

Postby ataylor233 » October 10th, 2016, 11:58 am

as the title says i want to purchase this boat listed locally on Craigslist.I wne to see it and these are the things i've noticed

1 a hole covered with white tape on the aft starboard of the boat up high where the word Carver sits .
2 Allot of water in the forward bulge area (he said it was because we got allot of rain)
3.a few creaking floors
4 Stairs going down the galley one was tilted a bit (not fLat as the others)
5 600 hours on both engines (not Bad)

there was a little water near the starboard side water inlet valve and i've attached a picture to show where the hole is

This boat was the cheapest price of the 2 i'm looking at and i don't want to pay for a survey for every boat i look at.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: so i want to buy a 88 Carver 3207 aft cabin

Postby bud37 » October 10th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Cant see what you mean in the pic, it seems to be cut off.
A little advice that I have offered to many.....buy a good moisture meter ( 2 to 300 dollars ) and learn how it works....it will at least give you an idea of what you are looking at, deck and coring wise, that way you can select the ones you want surveyed( the real prospects)......no I am not saying that is foolproof ( don't ask how I know) and you can use it later to find and isolate water intrusion issues.When these boats get really cheap there is usually a good reason....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 10th, 2016, 1:03 pm

+1
Can't see the hole.
The water in the bilge could be anything. Several points of entry for rain, and thru-hull hardware. Thru-hull leaks usually leave a tell-tail sign though. You'd usually see staining or water tracks from the points of entry. They could be anywhere. Certainly look for signs from all seacocks, transducers, prop shaft logs and rudder post logs (normal to an extent), log bolts, strut mounting bolts, transom fixtures like trim tabs, swim platform mountings bolts, exhaust outlets, etc. It may be rain getting in through the anchor rope locker via anchor line, windlass etc. Lots of possibilities here.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any vessel of that vintage to not have any creaking floors in the interior. On the exterior, it may be a sign of an underlying problem such as a wet core or delamination. Only further investigation will answer that for sure.

Keep in mind that it's a 1988 vessel. there will be some things that need attention. The trick is finding one that doesn't require major work that'll cut into your boating time and budget. Unfortunately the only way to be let's say more certain, is to hire a properly certified surveyor. Certainly you could narrow down the possibilities by doing some preliminary inspection yourself. Sometimes the signs are obvious; stained headliner under railing stanchions, sometimes not so much and tools of the trade and a trained ear are necessary.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ataylor233 » October 10th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Thanks guys this gave me a better idea the floors werent to bad just creaked a little...i will go over the boat again with a friend to see if its something i want. i took it out on the water seemed to handle well.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » October 10th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Where is the boat?
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 10th, 2016, 11:29 pm

Just an FYI, my 81 3007 generally has water in the forward bilge area. On my boat the A/C condensate drains into the forward bilge. The way the boat sits in the water also tends to have any water in the bilge run towards the forward bilge area.

As others have suggested there could be many sources of water intrusion. Fortunately for me I think I have a pretty sound boat for a 1981 model. Looking at your pic the layout topsides looks just like mine.

As to surveys you really only want to schedule a survey when you have narrowed down your choices. When I was boat hunting last year I did pay for 2 surveys. One was a Chris Craft 290 Catalina and then my Carver 3007 Aft Cabin. I really liked the exterior and lines of the Chris Craft but I liked the roominess of the Carver more.

If the boat is still in the water you might want to go for a sea trial prior to a survey. Good luck.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “General Boating Discussion”