Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

TO LOCK OR NOT TO LOCK?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
PJHoffnet
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Re: TO LOCK OR NOT TO LOCK?

Postby PJHoffnet » October 7th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Unlocked. Four of the six closest boats to our slip are liveaboards and we have cameras. Should be enough of a deterrent. The idea of having to replace the lock, or door, is more of a PITA than having some stuff stolen from the cabin. All the $$ equipment is up on the open flybridge anyway, so no lock is going to secure that.

Topic author Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 7th, 2019, 6:45 pm

It seems like theft goes in cycles around here. No issues for a couple of years then suddenly several boats get hit with either thefts or vandalism.

Don't leave your flares on board over the winter!! If it's kids and they find that, they'll have a field day.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » October 7th, 2019, 7:28 pm

As they say in real estate....location, location, location. At our marina, my boat is never locked and keys are always in the ignition. I'm sure there are more than a few other boat owners that do the same. I might also add, there are always cars in the parking lot, unlocked with keys, if not in the ignition, over the visor, in the ash tray, etc.
At the other end of the spectrum, there are marinas that everything of value (even of little value) needs to be chained down or it will walk away.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » October 8th, 2019, 11:00 am

I always lock. Over the past 20 years, I have had 2 experiences with people boarding to help themselves. Both times they basically walked away. They decided to move along to another boat. Both times, unlocked boats near me were vandalized and were victims of theft. Any deterrent is better than none at all IMO. Insurance companies are not getting better at paying claims, just a lot better at denying them. The third time I had a strange thing, I was sleeping on board. A knucklehead unplugged my power cable, and started walking down the dock, repeating the process. He quit as he struggled to get out of the water when he fell in. The look on his face was priceless when he saw me holding a disconnected cable 2 feet away from him, in the water. Helped him out, but I did not give him a towel. Kinda feel bad about that in hindsight. I now have inexpensive cameras and a sign that says "Smile for the camera" 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 8th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 8th, 2019, 6:45 pm

I had an alarm system on one boat that was a pain because the motion detectors set it off all the time....but what seemed to work was just a simple flashing red led light installed in the salon door frame.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 8th, 2019, 9:43 pm

I like that, good idea :down:

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 9th, 2019, 12:53 am

it has been said often, a lock only keeps out honest people. My boat is locked. The lock will only slow them down. It won't stop them if they are determined to get inside. I don't have an alarm but do have an interior lamp on a timer. Might help, might not but it is at least something to give intruders something to think about.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » October 11th, 2019, 10:53 am

Lots of comments on this one. I retired after 40 + years service as a Police Officer.

I believe locks are only for honest people. I lock my house, but I don't lock my boat. There is nothing in my boat that would be worth as much as fixing the damage they would do breaking into the boat. Electronic's are on the bridge and they can't be locked up anyway.

Yes, locking it up is a deterrent, and the thief's biggest challenge is the time it would take to get in and the noise makes increasing his chances of detection and getting caught.

If their intent is vandalism, then it won't matter if it's locked or unlocked. They will get in anyway.

Got to do what you are comfortable with IMHO.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 12th, 2019, 2:54 am

Years ago I kept a boat I owned at the time at a marina on the Raisin River in Monroe Mich. The marina was located on what was known as the "wrong side of town". Everyone there told me to just leave the boat unlocked so I did. 2nd year I owned the boat it was entered. They stole all the copper water lines and any other copper they could get their hands on. At least they didn't have to bust the lock to get in.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “General Boating Discussion”