Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Dinghy Cleaning and Protection

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Dinghy Cleaning and Protection

Postby feeez » April 18th, 2017, 9:18 pm

I am interested in hearing your input on Dinghy cleaners. I was out in the garage and our Mercury dinghy is really in need of some rehab. To be honest I cant remember what I used last year to clean it in the spring Probably something from around the house. I used the 303 protectant for UV and I was less than impressed with that product. No matter how careful I was it ended up making the inside of the hull very slippery.
I just watched a video on Aurora Speed Clean seems to work well but it was a promotional piece.

Looking forward to your guidance and opinions

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Dinghy Cleaning and Protection

Postby bud37 » April 18th, 2017, 10:51 pm

Fraser.....have used speed clean and poly guard on an old rib ,worked ok.....on the new one we have now just clean up and put poly guard on in spring ( does not make it slippery) then make sure to put the cover on when in the slip ( keep the sun off ) and try not to get sunscreen on it, thats it ,the stuff comes in a kit from Aurora, bit pricey, but lasts as you don't use much....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » June 4th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Further to this one,

I have to "re glue" the decals on the dinghy. Two of them fell off last season and the other is ready to go. What would your recommendations be for :

1. Cleaning the old glue residue off?
2. Can I use 3M 4000 for the reglueing.

Thanks
Fraser

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 4th, 2017, 11:30 pm

The best thing I used was "Awesome" cleaner from the dollar stores. I bought and old used (abused) dirty dingy and was absolutely amazed at what Awesome and some magic erasers did. AFTER it is cleaned I do use 303 protectant because it is supposed to minimize UV damage... not sure if it really does help but I guess I'm keeping the faith.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » June 5th, 2017, 10:07 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post The best thing I used was "Awesome" cleaner from the dollar stores. I bought and old used (abused) dirty dingy and was absolutely amazed at what Awesome and some magic erasers did. AFTER it is cleaned I do use 303 protectant because it is supposed to minimize UV damage... not sure if it really does help but I guess I'm keeping the faith.

My issue with the 303 was that is made the bottom of the dinghy very slippery.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 5th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Heh Fraser, if you could get your hands on some of the that stuff Clarke Griswold put on the snow saucer, maybe 40 knots with a 9.9.... :lol: ... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » June 11th, 2017, 12:38 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Heh Fraser, if you could get your hands on some of the that stuff Clarke Griswold put on the snow saucer, maybe 40 knots with a 9.9.... :lol: ... :beergood:

Maybe I'll just spray the 303 under there!!! LOL

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » June 12th, 2017, 7:23 pm

I just used the speed clean and poly guard this weekend. The speed queen smelled like bleach and the products texture was a bit like pumice. It did clean very well though and the poly guard did bring back a nice finish. Looks like it will add some life to the dinghy.

Fraser, did you find anything adhesive that worked for reattaching your labels?

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » June 12th, 2017, 10:47 pm

jcoll wrote:Source of the post I just used the speed clean and poly guard this weekend. The speed queen smelled like bleach and the products texture was a bit like pumice. It did clean very well though and the poly guard did bring back a nice finish. Looks like it will add some life to the dinghy.

Fraser, did you find anything adhesive that worked for reattaching your labels?

I used 3M4000 UV..... so far so good.

Cheers
Fraser

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » June 13th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.