Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Launch Day

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Launch Day

Postby RGrew176 » April 23rd, 2017, 5:44 am

Last summer the port transmission on my Carver seized up. I looked around at many places but only a few were willing to tackle the job. Humbug Marina and Mike one of the mechanics there said, "Bring your boat here and we will take care of your problem.

Mike came highly recommended. In November I brought my boat to Humbug. They pulled the boat, powerwashed, changed the engine oil, winterized my engines and A/C system.

In mid February they pulled my boat inside and Mike went to work on the transmission. In October when I first spoke with him I told him the symptoms my transmission had. It was stuck in forward and based on my description of the symptoms he said fused clutches. When he got it apart his diagnosis was right on.

The transmission was rebuilt but it was mid winter so there would be no sea trial until spring. Fast forward to April. I called to make an appointment to launch April 13th. There was a minor setback and the launch was cancelled. The port engine would not crank over. They said no problem we will correct the issue.

A few days pass and I get a call that my engine problem has been corrected. They had to set the settings on the neutral switch. I drove to the boat and checked it out and the port engine cranked like it should.

Forward to Saturday April 22nd my new launch day. I arrive at the boat hanging in the slings ready to go into the water. But before they put me in the water Greg the mechanic wants to go over the engine and transmissions. He checks and tightens all the hoses. Then we fire up the port engine and there is a water leak. Turns out a hose had a hole in it so it was replaced. Then Greg had me shift both transmissions back and forth from forward to reverse so the fluid can be run through them both. He had to add a bit of fluid to both transmissions after they were cycled to bring them up to full.

He spent about an hour and twenty minutes going over everything to make sure all was well. I really appreciate all the time he took just to make sure my boat was ready to launch. He could have just lowered me into the water and sent me on my way. Instead he took the time to make sure the boat was seaworthy prior to launching.

So, I want to give cudos to Mike, Greg, Sue, Dave and Kristen for a job well done. Each and every one of them never failed to take the time to answer all my concerns. I had a first rate experience at Humbug Marina and I wanted to share that fact. Thanks to all at Humbug for a job well done.

I am in the water at my new slip ready for the season to begin. Took a short shakedown cruise today just to check everything out. The mechanic said to break in the new transmission. No WOT for the first 6 hours and not to exceed 3200 RPM for that period of time. My general cruising setting is 3100 so not a problem.

Glad to be back in the water.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Launch Day

Postby bud37 » April 23rd, 2017, 8:20 am

Rick you have a good one there, refreshing to see that kind of service these days. Hope you have a great season....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 23rd, 2017, 9:49 pm

Rick, if you haven't already, send this letter to the Marina!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » April 24th, 2017, 1:27 am

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Rick, if you haven't already, send this letter to the Marina!

I actually posted this on their Facebook page before I posted it here. I do believe that good service should be recognized and bad should be reported too.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “General Boating Discussion”