Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1989 carver santego 27' stern drive cables question

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
animalalley
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 89 santago

1989 carver santego 27' stern drive cables question

Postby animalalley » May 1st, 2017, 8:57 am

Last year we purchased a beautiful 27 foot carver santego with twin merc.s. the prior owner had the out drives rebuilt by a marina in quincy mass but since the rebuild could not get them into gear. Yesterday I was going over the boat and found the starboard side stern drive cable disconnected from the engine and the starboard side has the pin from the canopy out of place thus blocking the shifter from moving, so I corrected both of these. It seems to shift fine now. But here is my question. I was working on it out of the water with the props raised and the engines off, should it still work OK when placed into the water with the props lowered and engines running.

Thanks

David

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: 1989 carver santego 27' stern drive cables question

Postby tomschauer » May 1st, 2017, 11:00 am

Theoretically, yes they should shift when lowered. I would lower them, put on some ear muffs, start and shift them before launch.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 1st, 2017, 8:30 pm

Being up shouldn't affect that particular system however, "working on it" is one thing, if it wasn't set up properly to begin with, there's no guaranty it will shift properly just because the cable was put back on and the shifter can be moved.

There is a process for setting up proper cable adjustment with it out of the water. Kind of hard to explain on paper. There is a happy medium between shifting properly into forward while still being able to shift properly into reverse. This is a small window of adjustment. Too much one way such as forward and you lose reverse or get a lot of gear chatter/grinding. You also need to ensure the ignition interrupt system is working properly to get it out of gear. The best way to do that is in the water as you need a load on the prop to check it properly.

Don't run the engine with the drive all the way up past the trim limit position (trailering position). This puts a heavy load on the u-joints. Always put your drive down before starting the engine.

Have you owned Merc Alpha drives before?

Topic author
animalalley
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 89 santago

Postby animalalley » May 8th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Thanks to both of you for the replies. To answer your question this is the first Merc Alpha drives we have owned. Also is there is a good source for the process for setting up proper cable adjustment with it out of the water. A tech manual, a you tube vid, etc.?

thanks in advance

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 8th, 2017, 7:27 pm

You should be able to find a manual on-line, I know they're out there, can't remember what number the manual is. You will have an Alpha 1 drive, not the Gen II for that vintage I believe but the setup should be the same for both.

When shifting an Alpha drive, you must shift firmly and and not slowly, don't baby it. If you baby it, it'll rattle into gear and possibly stall the engine even if it's set up properly.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”