Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shore water

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
travellersrest
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: I own a 1999 530 Voyager with 450 Cummins 6CTA8.3. We are the second owners, and have had her 14 years.

Shore water

Postby travellersrest » May 8th, 2017, 6:16 pm

I own a 1999 530 voyager. The water system works fine using the water tanks and water pump, but when I turn the water pump off and connect shore water I get no water pressure in the boat at all. Replaced the pressure regulator right were the shore water connects, but still nothing. I can only get water with pump on and water in tanks. I think there must be a check valve somewhere in the plumbing system, but I have not been able to find it. Does anyone know a fix for this?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Shore water

Postby Viper » May 8th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Welcome aboard. I know the older vintages used a separate regulator/check valve mounted inside the vessels in close proximity to the water inlet. I thought they did away with that in new vintages but you never know on a given model year. Perhaps someone with a similar model year will chime in. Which type of inlet do you have below?

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=shurflo-wall-mount-city-water-connection&path=-1|51|2234261|2234266&id=2410648
or
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=ambassador-stainless-steel-water-inlet&path=-1|51|2234222|2234225&id=2122921

The first has a built in regulator/check valve, the second does not. Even if you have the first, if it came from factory with the second and was changed by a previous owner, it may still have the separate regulator in the boat that may be at fault.

Also note that some vessels have outlet fittings for a raw water system but that would be the opposite end of the hose you'd be hooking up just like at a tap unless someone messed up.

Has it ever worked before? Do you winterize where you are? It's a common failure when not done right.

Topic author United States of America
travellersrest
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: I own a 1999 530 Voyager with 450 Cummins 6CTA8.3. We are the second owners, and have had her 14 years.

Postby travellersrest » May 9th, 2017, 8:08 am

The shore water system worked just fine up until about two years ago. Yes I do winterize the water system each year with the pink stuff (-50degree). I flush the entire water system with the pink stuff.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 9th, 2017, 9:00 am

travellersrest wrote:Source of the post The shore water system worked just fine up until about two years ago. Yes I do winterize the water system each year with the pink stuff (-50degree). I flush the entire water system with the pink stuff.

You may just have another check valve between the shore hook up and where it connects to the main system and it is stuck.....I installed some in my last boat and they were plastic and looked just like a regular fitting, maybe check that line and with the pressure on, tap all the fittings and maybe you can unstick it.......just a shot in the dark here considering you have had this boat for a while....

Just had a look at your schematic for the water system on your boat.....

.http://www.carveryachts.com/media/3892/ ... ual_99.pdf

I believe you can cut the inlet regulator out ,just for a test mind you,by hooking up shore water to your fresh water wash down tap.....now this would just test that section to the regulator, don't open wide and see if your system works, don't leave it like that, it is just to test !!......if it does then you will know where to keep looking.... the only factory check valve I could find was at the hot water tank........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 9th, 2017, 10:21 am

Maybe just disconnect the new shore water inlet and turn on the pump. Water should flow from the pipe that connects to the inlet. If not, definitely another check or shut off valve in the line.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 9th, 2017, 7:39 pm

travellersrest wrote:Source of the post The shore water system worked just fine up until about two years ago. Yes I do winterize the water system each year with the pink stuff (-50degree). I flush the entire water system with the pink stuff.

Did you push the pink stuff through the dockside water inlet? If you didn't and there's a valve/regulator there or in that line, it'll be toast. It's a common oversight when winterizing. You need to either force pink through it or air to clear water out of the regulator and that section of line. Trying to do it from the other end while you're doing the rest of the system with your on-board pump won't work.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 9th, 2017, 7:49 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post....hooking up shore water to your fresh water wash down tap.....:beergood:

You'd need to rig something up because that would require a hose with two female ends.

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Maybe just disconnect the new shore water inlet and turn on the pump. Water should flow from the pipe that connects to the inlet. If not, definitely another check or shut off valve in the line.

+1
If that doesn't work, you need to get eyes on the line from the inlet all the way to where it connects to the on-board system which will likely be the lines leading to the closest fixture like fresh water washdown, transom shower lines or lines to a cockpit sink or ice maker.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 9th, 2017, 8:01 pm

You could hook up to a wash down using a washing machine hose, but I do believe you would pressurize your storage tank. That could make a big mess.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 9th, 2017, 8:10 pm

I guess there would be another check valve before the pump and tank, to keep it from being pressurized when connected to dock water.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 9th, 2017, 8:16 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post You could hook up to a wash down using a washing machine hose, but I do believe you would pressurize your storage tank. That could make a big mess.

No, it wouldn't be any different than a working dockside water inlet (all hooks up to the same circuit/plumbing). The tank won't fill up because of the check valve in your fresh water pump won't let water past it back to the tank. If your tank does fill up, then you have a faulty pump but if that was the case, your pump would always cycle on and off as the system would lose pressure from the water draining back into the tank again.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”