Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Tying off to shore when anchoring - yea or nay ?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Tying off to shore when anchoring - yea or nay ?

Postby denders » July 17th, 2017, 9:06 pm

My wife and I are new to boating ( we have a 33 foot 3396 Mariner ) , and are looking for advice about whether or not to tie off to shore when anchoring overnight. We have been getting various responses from other boaters around the marina so I thought I would see what the prevailing opinion was here. We have overnighted a couple of times and I am amazed by the amount of swing that the boat has. Opinions in the Marina range from Never tie off to Always tie off , I admit to being a little concerned about being close enough to shore to tie off ( I am assuming you want to be within 75 feet or so ). Anyway looking for opinions and options.

Thanks in advance

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Tying off to shore when anchoring - yea or nay ?

Postby tomschauer » July 17th, 2017, 9:14 pm

If I am concerned about swing or in a crowded anchorage I use both the bow anchor and stern anchor. I have never tied off to shore. If you have safe water depth and something solid to tie off to on shore such as a tree, I see no reason you couldn't or shouldn't do it.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 17th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Ditto what tom said.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 17th, 2017, 10:28 pm

The answer is yes and no! It's done a lot, same as setting a stern anchor overnight. The problem is that in a crowded anchorage, everyone has to be on the same page. If everyone else only has their main anchor out for the night so that they can swing as conditions change, you want your boat to move as well. If everyone has a stern anchor out or is tied off but you're not, you may swing into someone should conditions change while you're fast asleep. I've been in some pretty tight spots and if one person doesn't practice what everyone else is doing, it can get messy.

You'll also need to pay attention to forecasted conditions for overnight. I would not set a stern anchor or tie off if the forecast calls for the winds to pick up. If they do, you want the boat to swing as that will allow your bow to go into the wind. This will reduce stress on the anchor and minimize dragging it. If you tie off and the wind is allowed to broadside you, your stern or bow anchor might drag. A depth alarm might help but it won't tell you that you're heading into another boat.

New Zealand
Darkfaythe
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Voyager 28

Postby Darkfaythe » July 19th, 2017, 6:02 am

From my perspective if you are tight for swing room then by all means run a stern line around a tree or something but make absolutely sure that you either run a full loop from stern around a fixture back to your stern, that way if everything turns to custard you can move at a moments notice.
I have used this methodology for many years and I have only been caught once where the wind direction changed in the middle of the night and being able to drop my stern line almost instantly meant I could get out of trouble real fast.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 19th, 2017, 6:44 am

Darkfaythe wrote:Source of the post From my perspective if you are tight for swing room then by all means run a stern line around a tree or something but make absolutely sure that you either run a full loop from stern around a fixture back to your stern, that way if everything turns to custard you can move at a moments notice.
I have used this methodology for many years and I have only been caught once where the wind direction changed in the middle of the night and being able to drop my stern line almost instantly meant I could get out of trouble real fast.

++1

Return to “General Boating Discussion”