Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

drive line

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
robertstinson617
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 carver Santiago 38

drive line

Postby robertstinson617 » August 19th, 2017, 3:10 am

I have a 1988 carver Santiago and I was having the bottom cleaned and the diver told me that my Port side prop was touching my rudder some how the shaft slidout. What would cause this to happen would appreciate any advice on subject.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: drive line

Postby km1125 » August 19th, 2017, 8:44 am

I can't imagine how it could slide that far out and still be attached! It could slide a little if the coupling at the transmission wasn't correctly installed. Normally you would drill pilot "dimples" into the shaft once you've located where the set screws will 'land' then tighten the set screws into them, so that the shaft can NEVER pull out.

Did you do a recent hard backing on that engine? I had a friend do that one time and his shaft came out, similar to yours. It was due to improper installation.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: drive line

Postby Viper » August 19th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Welcome aboard.

A picture of the type of coupler you have would help determine the cause. A bad alignment, poor hardware condition and bad install practices will all contribute to the problem.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”