Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Winterize or not?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Majetak
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 366

Winterize or not?

Postby Majetak » October 8th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Hello everyone, I am just getting my 2003 Carver 366. I am currently in the Annapolis MD area and wanted to get recommendations for what most people do for the winter with their boats in this area. I'm a first time boat owner so I am looking for some recommendations on what to do for the winter. Is the Annapolis area ok to just leave it in the water as long as I have the boat in a slip with power and water and run the heaters and take it out a few times a month this winter or would it be better to get it pulled for the winter and winterized?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Welcome to CarverYachtOwners.com!

Postby tomschauer » October 17th, 2017, 8:29 pm

You can pull it or leave it in the water if the marina allows and has bubblers, but either way it needs to be winterized. If you have freshwater cooled engines and install a bilge heater you MAY be able to get away with not winterizing your engines but many of your domestic water and a/c water lines run through areas that are exposed more to the outside temps than the inside and will freeze. Then you have to consider what happens if you lose power for a few hours.
Talk to others in your marina for advice and also your insurance company. Make sure you are covered if it freezes while in the water.
:usa:

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Welcome to CarverYachtOwners.com!

Postby tomschauer » October 17th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Also you say with power and water. The marina will shut down the water. Usually before thanksgiving, earlier if the weather turns.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Winterize or not?

Postby waybomb » October 18th, 2017, 12:14 pm

I lived on Kent Island for a few years. The first year I left the boat in the water.
Never again.
Nothing went wrong, but I was at the boat anytime it got to freezing, and then losing sleep all night worrying about something happening to it.
Also worried about vandalism since the marina was mostly empty.
After that, I had it taken out and brought to my house.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Winterize or not?

Postby g36 » October 18th, 2017, 3:22 pm

I dont live in your are but in tennessee. However . We get plenty of freezing temps here also. I keep bilge heaters and a couple cabin heaters around 45 degrees. I don't live far from my marina either. However for piece of mind I have setup ip cameras that I can check from anywhere. ( which might help you) . that I can monitor the docks power and view my remote thermometers for the bilge and cabin temps that way any problems I know about it and can take care of it . Just fyi
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”