Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Insurance and winterizing engines

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Insurance and winterizing engines

Postby Midnightsun » October 27th, 2017, 6:53 am

I have had the "professionals" crawling around my boats in the past. My early experience was 2 cracked heads come spring on my 23' way back. Second adventure was a cracked water tank that required me to cut open the floor for replacement. Try to blame it on their winterization failure? Good luck! Never again, prefer to do things myself so I know it is done correctly. The other issue is I have yet to see anyone who works on a boat that does not leave a mess. Not talking about tools and debris, mostly boot marks and black fingerprints all over the place.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 27th, 2017, 7:10 am

There's no doubt there's incompetence in the industry but you can say the same about all industries. Some techs are hackers, have a sloppy work ethic, and have no regard for someone else's property. I see it myself sometimes and I admit the lack of care is frustrating and embarrassing. There are however many that are very knowledgeable, take great care in what they do, respect the property of others, and have no problem fessing up to an error and taking responsibility for it. The trick is finding a tech that fits that criteria, and if he works for a marina, finding a marina that has the same ethic and backs it up. When you find one, hold on tight!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 27th, 2017, 9:38 am

Lyndon670 wrote:Source of the post
Lol...here is a picture of one of the staff members running for dear life as my boat rolled backwards thru the lot towards the docks. Completely free rolling - they got it stopped by throwing 6x6 timbers under the wheels - they tried 2x4s but the lift just kept rolling away...

I cannot imagine watching that happen!!! I think I would rather the straps broke and it just fell down on concrete and busted into 1000 pieces. At least it would be over quickly!

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » October 28th, 2017, 8:38 am

Personal experience on a twin engine 29' express raw water cooled. Purchased the boat in November and part of the deal was winterizng and storage. The business went under in January and so did my newly acquired "hole in the water". :cry: Loooong story short - both engines froze (poor attempt made by the business to winterize) Good news was insurance covered the damage for "new" not rebuilt engines. Bad news - reduction for betterment brought the payment down to the cost of rebuilts. Okay, that seems an obvious choice however when I made that choice I also gave up the coverage for poor workmanship on the job because "exact" parts as listed were not used. Yes there was POOR workmanship! It all worked out even in the end except about 2/3 of the season was lost. Now when I get a policy I check freezing clause carefully. On this boat I called to clarify the wording in the contract about "professional" or "personal" winterization service and was told it didn't matter, I would be covered :confused: I don't plan on testing that statement but I did make notes on the conversation.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”