Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Documented boat

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Documented boat

Postby bud37 » November 14th, 2017, 7:20 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post It means floating in any particular state. In Maryland, the DNR (department of natural resources) sometimes visits marinas in the spring and takes picture of (floating) boats registered in other states, and returns mid summer to do the same. Any boat that was fortunate enough to be in the same place both times receives a bill for the state 5% excise tax.

OOOO , sneaky heh, kinda like the parking people with the chalk.....my guess would be you guys might have another word for it..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » November 14th, 2017, 7:40 pm

darylann wrote:
buster53 wrote:Source of the post ...
Another question, if you have state numbers on the bow, then your boat is not documented. Documented boats cannot have state numbers even though most are registered with the state sticker somewhere on the front end of the boat.

There are state numbers on the bow. But the boat also had been documented. According to the Illinois DMV website: "A watercraft which has a valid marine document issued by the United States Coast Guard, National Vessel Documentation Center, is required to be registered (not titled) in Illinois if used upon the waters of this State for more than 60 days in any calendar year." I'm still not sure if this means that the numbers MUST be displayed or not; I've heard conflicting answers to that question.

With numbers on the bow, the boat had at one time been documented, but most likely, a previous owner let it lapse and went the state registration route with bow numbers.
Coast Guard regulations are very clear, a documented boat can be state registered and display the registration sticker but CANNOT display numbers. If your boats CG Documentation is still current, then you are violating CG regs by displaying state numbers.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » November 15th, 2017, 8:47 am

From the Coast Guard website FAQ page....

IS A DOCUMENTED VESSEL EXEMPT FROM STATE JURISDICTION?
No, all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements.

FYI...most states, MD included, require all documented boats to be state registered. I'm in VA and it is optional here. My boat is documented but not VA registered.

Topic author United States of America
darylann
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 33 Aft Cabin... My first boat!
Dreamed and schemed for 7 years, and finally made it happen in 2017!

Postby darylann » November 19th, 2017, 7:19 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post
darylann wrote:
buster53 wrote:Source of the post ...

With numbers on the bow, the boat had at one time been documented, but most likely, a previous owner let it lapse and went the state registration route with bow numbers.
Coast Guard regulations are very clear, a documented boat can be state registered and display the registration sticker but CANNOT display numbers. If your boats CG Documentation is still current, then you are violating CG regs by displaying state numbers.

I suspect that either the documentation lapsed, or the second owner filed a Deletion from Documentation. Either way, I plan to follow up with the USCG and find out the true documentation status. It seems a shame to not update and maintain it, don't you think?
1992 Carver 33 Aft Cabin
Peoria, IL (for now)
:captain: My first boat!

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » November 25th, 2017, 9:42 am

Here's the CG website to go to. Just type in your boat's name and see what pop's up.

https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastG ... yName.html

Return to “General Boating Discussion”