Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Inflatable boat

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Re: Inflatable boat

Postby MakinTime » November 19th, 2017, 9:02 am

Good info thanks. I really like the West Marine 8.5 ft but I could see how the slat floor could be wishy washy also it does not have a inflatable keel that’s kind of a bummer ,but not sure this would matter much were not cruising with it just literally ship to shore. The West Marine Black Friday price is only $499 so I really like that.

Anyone have anyone experience with the eBay dinghys? I know they are probably realitively cheap in quality but a 9’ dinghy with Aluminium floor and inflatable keel are only $550

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 19th, 2017, 10:53 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I have a Mercury Air Deck with a 4 hp four stroke. It works well for short jaunts, fairly light and can be rolled up when uninflated. My dock neighbor has the same boat with the aluminum floor and a 6 hp four stroke and he cant keep up with me?

Something is very wrong there! Do you get on plane with the 4hp?

I'm guessing he's WAY overpropped and since the engine doesn't hit rated RPM, he's not developing any more HP that you are.

What do you think the difference in weight is between the two fully-loaded boats? 350 lbs on one and 370 on the other? (boat ~ 100lbs, + motor&tank 70 lbs + 180 for skipper +20 for optional wood floor?)

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 19th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Mine planes quickly with the 4hp when I am alone. My friend has a 6hp, both mercury motors both four stroke both 2014 model year both original props. His boat is definitely heavier, I believe closer to +50 lbs, he has 20lbs on me.
Of course neither of these are fast, but I am quicker from a dead stop and will continue to slowly pull away from his.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 19th, 2017, 8:09 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Mine planes quickly with the 4hp when I am alone. My friend has a 6hp, both mercury motors both four stroke both 2014 model year both original props. His boat is definitely heavier, I believe closer to +50 lbs, he has 20lbs on me.
Of course neither of these are fast, but I am quicker from a dead stop and will continue to slowly pull away from his.

Yea. He needs to re-prop. He's running a taller prop than you are if they are both stock. That won't allow his motor to reach rated RPM, so he's not making any more HP that you are, and he's lugging the motor, which means the motor isn't going to last, either. The 4 HP came with a 7" pitch and the 6HP came with an 8 or 9" pitch (probably an 8), and it also doesn't develop all 6 HP until it is 500-1000 RPMs higher than yours. If I was him though... I'd get the SailPro high-thrust prop.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 19th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Btw.. it's about a $75 carb to change these motors from a 4 or 5 HP to a 6HP. That's all you have to do.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 19th, 2017, 8:23 pm

I would tell him, but then he could beat me to the bar, and I would have to buy.
:beergood:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 19th, 2017, 8:27 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I would tell him, but then he could beat me to the bar, and I would have to buy.
:beergood:

:lol:

Return to “General Boating Discussion”