Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Boat Transportation Sarnia to Georgian Bay 2018?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
Marty
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 326 AFT Cabin

Re: Boat Transportation Sarnia to Georgian Bay 2018?

Postby Marty » February 17th, 2018, 6:36 pm

As this boat is new to me I am not 100% on the fuel mileage....best I can tell around 16-18NM/hr i'd be around a mile per gallon??? (she has twin 5.7 merc's 250 hp V8's) Considering it would be around 260 NM id be looking at $1500 in fuel, marina fees $250 for 3 nights $1750 total. That said, can anyone tell me what how in depth it would be to remove the hard top and radar arch? Is the arch on a pivot? I could ship for a couple grand via road, but would have to remove the hard top and arch which would take a few hours I'm sure, but it'd be a few hours less than driving.....just considering options and looking for feedback.... Thanks in advance,

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 17th, 2018, 7:36 pm

depending on load you make get 1mpg out of 326 at 16mph but I think you will be plowing water and drop fuel range to almost nothing. I would count on something close to .8 at 25mph 3200prm as that smaller hull loves to be up on plane so I would keep it up or way down. If you are going to cruise at 6 knts, it may give you 2.5 mpg or a bit more, but a lot longer of a trip.
The arch is not on a pivot, but shouldn't be to hard to remove. Wires to any thing of the arch and to the lights in the hard top will run through the arch.
The biggest issue the hard top will be removing the head liner in the aft cabin to get to the bolts. Don't forget to rebed everything with 5200 when you put it back together.

Topic author Canada
Marty
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 326 AFT Cabin

Postby Marty » July 19th, 2018, 11:38 am

Just catching up here now and wanted to update. We ended up floating the boat Canada day weekend and it took 3 days. Friday we travelled from Sarnia to Kincardine about 95 miles and it was smooth. Saturday was by far the worst leg as fog rolled in about 20 miles off shore and I spent the next 50 following the Chartplotter and managing 5-7’ers off the port stern. Spent the night in in Tobermory and Sunday we crossed Georgian bay and met some friends out at Henry’s. Tucked into Echo bay for the rest of the day then headed into Bayport that evening. Only been up one weekend since so looking forward to enjoying some time exploring in August. Trip was essentially hassle free and overall we averaged .75 MPG around 21-22 MPH for the 260 is miles.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 20th, 2018, 2:49 am

Thanks for the update. We love happy endings. Glad your trip was a success.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “General Boating Discussion”