Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stuck anchors

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Stuck anchors

Postby bud37 » January 7th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Heh there, anyone get an anchor stuck, did you abandon it or did you get it out somehow???.....lets hear about ways ,gadgets you have come up with over the years for saving the ground tackle........ :beergood: .. :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Stuck anchors

Postby Midnightsun » January 7th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Thanks for bringing back bad memories. Yes I had my anchor stuck rather good, played with it for hours backing down, turning in every direction in hopes of freeing it up. In the end I was able to lift it enough to see what had happened. I snagged a steel cable about 2. in diameter, eventually I was able to work it loose and we finally got under way to head back to port however about 5 mins into our return I lost the port engine coupler so we came back at a few MPH on the starboard engine. (previous boat) Not my best weekend.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » January 7th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Speaking about anchors...
Fortunately, I have never had an issue with a stuck anchor. However, over the past couple of days I have been thinking about and looking at various anchor styles. I am wondering if anyone decided to change out the factory installed anchor that came with your boat.
If yes... why? What style did you decide to purchase.
I would also be interested in knowing how many of you folks carry more then one anchor on your boat.
Thanks.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 7th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Good one Hans, memories are good aren't they........I have a story from years ago.....anchored out with many boats in anchorage watching power boat races, mud and clay bottom, big danforth.....anyway a very strong thunder storm blew up, if you can picture this, antennas horizontal, can't see the bow from the bridge and when we could the rode was tight as banjo string. So we actually held there and after it was over there was us and one other boat that held, well you can guess what was next....an hour of round and round, back and forth and using the dink to finally extract that thing, also that boat had the famous Armstrong windlass.. :-D .......... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 9th, 2018, 5:01 pm

So here is another quick story,I can't believe nobody else has any anchor stories..... Anyway out down-rigger fishing on Lake Ontario a number of years ago and one of the riggers goes off, no fish but the cable is feeding out.Good thing it was very calm, thought it was the bottom but 40' deep and only 20' of cable out, we pulled and pulled and you could tell we were pulling something up.....after about 30 min we could see the weight and it had, if you can believe it gone thru one strand ( there was a loop) of a very large maybe 2" anchor rope that still had some bouyancy to keep it up.....could see it on the paper graph going to the bottom......we cut it loose and reported the line to CG.....what are the odds of that do you suppose........ :beergood:

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » January 10th, 2018, 9:58 am

after loosing one a few years ago because the rode braid to chain came loose i now use a anchor float with a retrival line so if needed i can pull from the opposite side and also mark location keep from loosing it.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » January 13th, 2018, 1:32 am

I am wondering if anyone decided to change out the factory installed anchor that came with your boat.

I upgraded to an large Ultra anchor as soon as I bought my last boat (Silverton 42C) and as it was one size larger than recommended, I was able to use it on my 506. Sets first time no matter what and I sleep well at night regardless of the weather.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

New Zealand
hargsnz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 366, 2003, twin Cummins 280HP, Kohler 8.0,

Postby hargsnz » February 2nd, 2018, 12:23 am

I upgraded the standard Carver supplied plow with a Rocna. I think these are the best plow type anchor you can buy. They have a great video comparing different types here:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 2nd, 2018, 7:20 am

Rocna and Ultra are both very good anchors, they share very similar design and anchoring characteristics.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 2nd, 2018, 8:22 am

I have played with quite a few over the years. My Favorite is Mantus with a Manson Supreme as runner up.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Boating Discussion”