Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

I don't trust my boat!

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: I don't trust my boat!

Postby RGrew176 » March 21st, 2018, 4:59 am

mwest74 wrote:Source of the post I'm not asking for opinions on the cost of the repair. That's why the lack of info. I'm asking if you had this type of work done could you trust your boat again? I don't want this to turn into a debate on how much I paid and for what. There is always someone that can get a better price than you. So please, with all due respect to everyone, I don't need opinions on how much something cost you. A new transmission from the manufacturer runs about $9k.

Like I said in an earlier post, I had my transmission rebuilt last year. Did I trust the boat when I first took it out. Yes, I did. The mechanic that rebuilt it was highly recommended by many of my fellow boaters. Actually, transmissions were his specialty. Knock on wood all is well. My boat is an 81. When I bought it I planned that some things would have to be fixed.

Since I bought the boat in August 2015 I have replaced the onboard fresh water system pump. The seawater pump for the A/C and the transmission rebuild. Will there be future repairs, yes. It's a 37 year old boat. I am hoping that there will not be any major repairs for the next couple of years. Time will tell.

Next year I would like to convert my engines to electronic ignition. Looking at a $1200 bill for that. May or may not do it. I also upgraded to a new VHF, new antenna and new GPS. In fact the VHF on the boat when I bought it did not work. It transmitted but did not receive. I even hooked up an external speaker still no reception. The GPS that came with the boat died after my first trip out. I also bought a top line VHF antenna. Can't believe how much better the radio performs with a good antenna.

Anyway it is a boat. If the enjoyment you get from the boat does now exceed the monies spent to operate it then it's time to get out of boating. I spent just over 10K last season and it was worth every penny.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
John Easley
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Sold a 1986 42' Chris Craft Catalina. Looking for a 1999-2006 530 Voyager Pilothouse.

Postby John Easley » March 21st, 2018, 8:26 am

You asked for opinions so, yes, I would trust it after the repairs were completed. Been there, done that, and it was solid as a rock afterward. Assuming, of course, that a quality mechanic is doing the work and you trust that it was done correctly.

Canada
nightsky
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: '94 Carver 390 cpmy

Postby nightsky » March 21st, 2018, 12:01 pm

I'm thinking that maybe you don't trust the survey that you had done on the boat? And that you are wondering what other big-ticket item did we miss. now that you have the boat home you can have another survey done with a trusted surveyor just to give you peace of mind.

Topic author United States of America
mwest74
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 330 mariner w crusader 350xl's

Postby mwest74 » March 21st, 2018, 1:29 pm

nightsky wrote:Source of the post I'm thinking that maybe you don't trust the survey that you had done on the boat? And that you are wondering what other big-ticket item did we miss. now that you have the boat home you can have another survey done with a trusted surveyor just to give you peace of mind.

That may be something worth considering.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » March 21st, 2018, 4:35 pm

mwest; Since this was a new to you boat, your frustration is understandable. Though the added expense of repairs into a boat purchase you thought was a fair deal may have twerked your ego a little, its quite understandable. We all have that issue. Hell we all have that issue every boating season, when out of the blue something goes down. It happens to the best of us, even as we all try with preventative maintenance measures, it happens and we all deal with it some how some way. I'm thinking as you become acclimated more to the new vessel you'll feel better about her as the seasons pass. Pop another :beergood: an look to the future of boating fun and pleasures. On the bright side look at all the money saved on a therapist by joining this fine group of fellow Carver Owners!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 21st, 2018, 11:38 pm

My advise if you haven't done so already and assuming you are going ahead with the repairs and keeping her, is to do some preventive maintenance and assessment of at least your power plants and other critical systems;

- Change All Fluids And Filters;
Don't simply replace the oil and toss the old stuff out, before you dispose of it, take the time to assess its condition. One can come to some conclusions with a visual inspection but smell can tell you a lot about what's going on that you won't get from simply looking at it. If you want to take the ultimate step, have the oil analysed by a lab that specializes in that. They'll give you a report that'll point out some possible concerns. It'll be the best indication of what's going on with major internal components of both the engines and transmission. Don't forget the generator.

- Ignition Tune-Ups;
Degraded ignition components are often the cause of runability issues. Bring the ignition system back to spec by replacing all the common components. Inspect the spark plugs, they can tell you a lot about how the engines are running. Check base timing to ensure it is set to spec.

- Fuel System;
Another major contributor to runability issues. Check everything from the tank to the engine and replace all filters in the system. Checking for water in your fuel now will help you take measures now before it becomes a problem and leaves you stranded. Check that the vents are clear and that the anti-siphon valves are clean and free.

- Check All Belts;
Again, don't simply toss the old ones but inspect them first to see if there is something that needs correcting first like a pulley misalignment. There are a couple of tell-tail signs that would lead you to this conclusion.

- Compression, Leak-Down, And Vacuum Tests;
Three very useful checks that will give you indications of the condition of your engines. Proper interpretation here though is key.

- Replace All Impellers;
Inspect the old impellers and ensure there are no missing blades. Replacing them without inspecting the internal surfaces of the pumps is a job half done that can come back to haunt you later. Because you don't know what may have happened in the past, go a step further and back-flush the system in hopes of flushing out impeller pieces that may be in there from previous impeller failures. Your cooling system will thank you for it.

- Closely Inspect All Engine/Generator/Transmission Hoses;
I don't have to stress to you the importance of this one. You're not just checking condition but routing as well. No kinks are allowed, and check for areas that might be rubbing against something that will eventually puncture the hose. Intake hoses are often overlooked so ensure they are in good shape. A failure here can sink your boat. Ensure all hoses are properly installed on the fittings and that they are securely fastened with stainless steel clamps. See if there are any fuel lines bundles with electrical wires. Surveyors are starting to get sticky about that and for good reason; it's dangerous.

- Wiring;
This is a book on to itself but in general, check the insulation for abrasion, check all connections to ensure they are clean, free of corrosion, and tight. This includes all plug connections. Routing is important and perhaps more so on engine wiring. Keep wiring away from hot engine surfaces and ensure they aren't rubbing against something that will eventually lead to a short or worse.

- Batteries;
Perhaps the most common failure point on a boat for several reasons, the common being ignorance, but with some careful planning and maintenance, this system can be totally reliable. Have your batteries professionally load tested.

- Bilge Pumps;
Ensure wiring and connections are in good shape and that the pumps and float switches work properly. Clean them. Look for leaks in the discharge hoses. Ensure they operate both in the automatic and manual settings.

Of course this is but a fraction of items to check but it's a start (and it's getting late!) for some of the critical hardware that can leave you in a bad spot if they fail due to neglect. These are some of the items all new owners should address right away. At the very least it gives you a starting point from which you will know the last time some of the items were done so you can plan the next maintenance schedule. I suspect once you perform some of these tasks, it'll put you more at ease and she'll gain your trust again.

Keep us posted on your current situation. I for one am hoping you don't throw in the towel but in the end you're the one that has to weigh all the pros and cons based on your particular circumstances.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”