Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

LAUNCH

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: LAUNCH

Postby mjk1040 » April 23rd, 2018, 7:40 pm

Viper; thought of snow load, but it got hit. May have been a delivery truck. Marina offered no compensation for the damage. Not responsible, yet they blocked it in that spot with the bow sticking out in the entrance driveway.
It appears Carver has redone its web sight and unable to find the 1998 355 AC/MY manual on their site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mjk1040 on April 24th, 2018, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 23rd, 2018, 8:22 pm

Do they have a blue Travelift?!! Looks like Travelift blue to me. If it is, how could they not take responsibility? Measure the height to the paint mark and check that height at the lift. If you see paint scraped off the posts of the lift, take pictures and show the marina.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 23rd, 2018, 8:28 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Do they have a blue Travelift?!! Looks like Travelift blue to me. If it is, how could they not take responsibility? Measure the height to the paint mark and check that height at the lift. If you see paint scraped off the posts of the lift, take pictures and show the marina.

+ 1
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral

Postby mjk1040 » April 24th, 2018, 5:52 am

I'll look, but the blue is deeper in color than the lift. The blue you see it the blue shrink wrap. This just happened in the last week. I'm at the boat on and off all winter and I always walk around and this damage wasn't there until just recently. I was told they had a boat delivery last Wednesday, I've asked to see the security camera tapes in that area, we'll see if they let me?
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral

Postby mjk1040 » April 25th, 2018, 6:29 am

20180424_133843.jpg
Checked Travel Lift today as they were next to my boat with it moving a boat and pulling the motor out. Interesting mark on one of the lift post? Sorry all my pics post sideways?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 25th, 2018, 7:06 am

Is the mark on the outside or inside facing part of the post? By inside, I mean it would be facing your boat when slung. If the mark is on the side that faces the other post on the same side of the lift then that would not be possible to do. Is that post at the front of the lift attached to the overhead beam or the back of the lift? Did you happen to notice a tear in your shrink wrap or evidence that something rubbed against it at that location before you removed it? Any luck with the video?

Don't know what this is going to cost you to repair but you may want to consider contacting your insurance company and discuss it with them. They may have someone that they can send out to assess/investigate and offer an opinion as to what may have happened. Unfortunately this may require recording a claim whether you proceed with insurance coverage for the repair or not. Tell your marina that you're going to do this. If the insurance company's adjuster or investigator determines that this was indeed an impact from the lift, not fessing up will not fair well for the marina and may affect their integrity with insurance companies when it comes to customer claims such as impacts. Insurance is big business but it's a small community in the marine world and word gets around quick when a marina is less than completely transparent. When you're black listed like that, insurance companies can make it very difficult for a marina when it comes time to do repairs under a claim.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 25th, 2018, 7:47 am

More/better pics would help, but I'm wondering how the pulpit railing got bent in so far if it was a vertical post on the travel lift? The pulpit railing shouldn't extend farther outboard than the rub rail. That makes me inclined to think it was something with an angle like the bow of another boat. The grooving on the rub rail makes it look more like a metal-to-metal contact (with the tarp in between), but are there corresponding grooves/scratches on the pulpit railing? If not, that may indicate something much softer was pushing on the railing (like fiberglass?).

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 25th, 2018, 8:31 am

Hmm ..looking at the way the blue residue is in the screw head, looks like whatever it was went by from the back of your boat out past the pulpit ....good luck man hope you get this resolved.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral

Postby mjk1040 » April 26th, 2018, 6:35 am

I emailed the marina about the mark I noticed on the Travel Lift. Manager got right back to me and noted that the mark on the Travel Lift was at 11'11" and that my bow rail was at 10'10" at ground level and that the rub rail was at 8'3". He also said I was more than welcome to take my own measurements. I thanked them for taking the time to measure all this and now have to believe a truck making a delivery or just turning around hit our boat. The scratch on the rub rail at 8'3" should have left the mark on the Travel Lift too! I feel now the marina is being upfront with me now. However I have to question their choice of placement of our boat for winter storage sticking out into the main driveway to the marina and putting a red rag flag on the bow railing after blocking it there even if I did ask to be stored in this area in hopes of being in early this spring. I have put our insurance carrier on notice with all the info, however our deductible most likely will not be met to fix or replace the bow railing. It's a wonder the boat didn't get knocked off its stands and blocking even if it does weight 10 ton!
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 26th, 2018, 9:38 am

Those pictures help a bit. I was a bit confused on the earlier ones.

carver_railing.jpg

Was there any fiberglass damage? Seems like the rubrail could be filed and polished. I'd want to make sure those two stauntions were removed and rebedded to make sure you don't get water in there, but looks like with some blocks and winches you could get that back in shape. The toughest part might be the end, if it is bent down a little.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”