Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Looking at a 2003 Mariner

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
Millenia
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Looking to buy

Looking at a 2003 Mariner

Postby Millenia » June 8th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Hi all...first time forum user so please forgive the obvious newbie feel to my post. I have had many boats so I’m not new to cruisers. I am looking at Mariners anywhere from 2000 to 2007 and realize the differences after 2003. Found a 2003 which is bare bones but could have extras added to satisfy me. It’s the perfect model to fit in the river in front of my Ontario home (3 foot draft, lower bridge height, easy access everywhere etc). My questions for anyone that could comment are:
It has mercury 6.2 engines as opposed to crusaders...most online reviews prefer crusaders by a long shot. Anyone out there with the Mercs that could speak to them?
Has anyone ever added auto pilot at a later stage? I hear it’s almost impossible but would love to know if that is incorrect!
If I add a Raymarine sat dome in the USA and take a Canadian Direct TV box down there will it work there as well as in Canada when I eventually bring it to Ontario?
Any and all comments that would assist in my choice would be welcome...btw...I like the appearance of the Mariner so I am immune to negativity about the lines

Thanks a lot for any answers
“No Way Jose”

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Looking at a 2003 Mariner

Postby Viper » June 8th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Welcome aboard.

Both Crusader and Mercury have their merits. Both are made from the same engine platform and while Crusaders are often considered a better build, the drawback is that they have nowhere near the infrastructure that that Mercury has, so the ability to get OEM parts are more difficult. Mercury dealers around every corner will also likely have the proper diagnostic equipment for the brand but unlikely to have that for Crusaders should you encounter an issue that requires in depth diagnostics.

Installing an autopilot should not be a problem.

My understanding is that the best sat system to go with if you're going to use it in Canada is to go with Bell as the provider. Personally I prefer Intellian satellite systems.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 9th, 2018, 6:19 am

Welcome to the forum..... We have the 01 version black 6.2's...our engines are fine, small block stroker, lighter weight than the big block and same if not a bit more HP........if you are upgrading electronics or adding on, try to make sure that whatever you buy can talk to all the existing stuff that you have...the ultimate in my book is all from the same manufacturer, read compatible.......another G Bayer....good luck going forward...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 10th, 2018, 1:49 am

Welcome Aboard. Hope you find your dream boat. Best of luck. When you do get there we all love pics.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » June 10th, 2018, 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum and to the 350 M club. A lot of nice changes came in the 2003 the best IMO is the centre mounted berth .... correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck and great boating. We are G Bay and it is a wonderful place to boat.

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 10th, 2018, 10:15 pm

As mentioned, the base engines are all GM blocks. Merc, crusader and Volvo just add the marinization accessories. I personally have not had any problem other than normal maintenance with mercs. I also personally prefer the MPI to the TBI system crusader uses. I would not fail to purchase a boat I liked because of the engine brand, so long as it is in good shape.
The 6.2 is a 350 chevy with a 400 crank giving it 383 cu inches (6.2l). Theses have a bit more HP than the 5.7. Less torque the than 7.4

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » June 11th, 2018, 8:18 am

Hi there and welcome. You will find that the folks on this forum are very helpful.
I have an 05 Mariner and we love it. My word of caution regarding the engines is to be sure to have the surveyor do a pressure test on the cooling system. I found out 'too late' that I needed to change the risers because they were leaking. I found myself topping off the fluid after each run.
Also have him pull the plugs. My boat looked great but the previous owner never changed the original spark plugs!
This can indicate how much attention was paid to the mechanical as opposed to the cosmetic aspects of the vessel.
Does the boat have a bow thruster?
In the area in which I boat, I have found the bow thruster to be a very helpful feature. At times I am fighting wind and current to back into my slip and the extra help comes in handy.
Good luck.

Topic author Canada
Millenia
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Looking to buy

Postby Millenia » June 11th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Thanks to all of you that replied...great information to use. It’s been a tough road finding the right Mariner....a tribute I’d say to the model given how fast the “good” ones get snapped up. I’ve looked at similar brands/models like Silverton 330 etc hut always come back to the Mariner....it’s just a better combination of features for what I want. If any come up in the Ontario area, or northern states for that matter I will drive to look at boats of interest....I am online daily so most that appear on Yachtworld/Kijiji/boatdealers.ca I will have seen. Please let me know of any you may hear of where current owner may want to avoid broker fees etc. thanks again for the input
No Way Jose

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 11th, 2018, 1:27 pm

I'm not a big fan of the design, but they sure do seem to sell quickly!! I think we have four in our marina now and we had another one that got sold in the spring and left after launch.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”