Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Odd Travel Lift

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Odd Travel Lift

Postby Midnightsun » June 10th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Thought some of you here would like to see the weird looking travel lift we have at my former marina and where I store the boat for winter. I do believe this is a one of a kind. Gas engine which operates the hydraulic drives and rams. shorten, widen, the vertical legs can be moved up or down as well as vertical travel on each wheel section. Different from the normal variety is this is purpose built for launching on a ramp.

Backed under boat adjusting the slings,

Off the blocks and ready to roll

On the way to the ramp

A few photos by the staff

Backing down the ramp

Picture of a sail boat once the rig is in the water.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Odd Travel Lift

Postby Viper » June 10th, 2018, 8:53 pm

They're not as common but I've seen them before. Kropf, who makes the regular hydraulic trailers also makes those hydraulic sling lift trailers. They're not as common because they're limited for the yard only and can't be used to transport on the road. The regular hydraulic trailer serves both purposes so they're more desirable. Many ways to skin a cat, there's several designs out there for getting boats out of the water for commercial applications.

It's amazing how small that unit looks considering it's a 30 ton. Thanks for sharing the pics.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 10th, 2018, 10:14 pm

I guess as long as it works and accomplishes the task at hand that's all that really matters. Got to admit this is the first time I have seen one like that. Thanks for sharing.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 11th, 2018, 9:21 am

Cool trailer but it would have scared the crap out of me watching that boat be backed down the ramp. There's a LOT of boat hanging out past that back sling and the balance had to be just forward of that sling. Seems like both slings should have been 6-8' farther aft, especially if backing down a ramp.

Nice boat btw!!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 11th, 2018, 7:33 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Cool trailer but it would have scared the crap out of me watching that boat be backed down the ramp. There's a LOT of boat hanging out past that back sling and the balance had to be just forward of that sling. Seems like both slings should have been 6-8' farther aft, especially if backing down a ramp.

Nice boat btw!!

Larger boats are marked where the slings are designed to be by the manufacturer and those slings are on the marks. If you look at the shafts, any farther back and you would be lifting on the shafts causing damaged to them. What you do not see is when the operator starts going down the ramp he keeps the boat level at all times by either raising the rear or lowering the front or a combination of the 2.

Take a look at this picture where you can see the sailboat is level with the water even though he is on the ramp.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » June 12th, 2018, 10:20 am

That's a Knopf Conolift all right. They are more popular in Canada (where they are made) than in the US. Travelifts are more popular in the US, but the Conolift does not require the overhead structure and can go down a ramp into the water. Originally built as trailers that required a tractor or other tow vehicle, Conolift started making self-propelled models years ago. If I remember right, prices are around $80,000 for a 30 ton self-propelled. I like the design in some ways better than the Travelift, but for some reason you don't see Conolifts much in the US.
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 12th, 2018, 2:21 pm

SplashyLady wrote:Source of the post That's a Knopf Conolift all right. They are more popular in Canada (where they are made)...... for some reason you don't see Conolifts much in the US.

Don't know why not, with the exchange rate it would only cost you $5k US ;-)

Return to “General Boating Discussion”