Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Water Stains on wall liners and curtains

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 350 Aft Cabin

Water Stains on wall liners and curtains

Postby ronmar » July 21st, 2018, 11:36 pm

I was looking at purchasing 1993 Carver 350 Aft Cabin. On the interior walls inside the v-birth is some material that was applied that looks like a very short nap carpet. It was applied all around the window areas and walls. At one time the owner said someone left the port light open and allowed water to run in. Possibly true, but the stains are significant and not just around the port light opening. They are nearly the whole length of the port side wall and on one of the curtains. I suspect at on time there was a more serious leak somewhere. It is dry there now. The material is sort of a whitish color very short napped, and feels like it was applied over a thin layer of padding. The stains are brownish in color. My question is has anyone experienced this and more importantly do you know if it can be cleaned? If so how was the cleaning process performed? The stains, per the owner were there prior to his buying a couple years ago, so I'm certain are quite set in. If they can't be cleaned is there a dying method that could be applied to hide the brownish discoloration?

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Water Stains on wall liners and curtains

Postby RGrew176 » July 22nd, 2018, 3:21 am

When I bought my 81 Carver there were some stains that could have been from previous leaks. I mixed up a solution of bleach and water and sprayed the stained areas. A little elbow grease and the stains were gone. Not saying that is the best way to get rid of them but it did work for me. I don't remember the exact percentage of bleach I added but 20% or so rings a bell.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ronmar » July 22nd, 2018, 10:09 am

you used on the cloth fabric? I understand on vinyl but thought too harsh for the cloth material on inside walls?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 22nd, 2018, 4:27 pm

Sounds like that stuff they used to call mouse fur or something like that.....have you tried some of the rug stain cleaner/ carpet cleaner ?? Old water stains are very difficult to remove effectively.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

ronmar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby ronmar » July 22nd, 2018, 7:36 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Sounds like that stuff they used to call mouse fur or something like that.....have you tried some of the rug stain cleaner/ carpet cleaner ?? Old water stains are very difficult to remove effectively.

No not yet. I just made an offer on this boat and reduced my offer because of the water stains. Just hoping someone had a magic solution to help when I take possession.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 22nd, 2018, 8:37 pm

Monkey fuzz!
On our project, we ripped it all off the walls and replaced it.
Comes right off. A gallon of contact cement and a bunch of yards of monkey fuzz.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 22nd, 2018, 9:31 pm

My boat had some old stains under several of the portlights that had been leaking and dripping. I did have a cleaner come in and they did an incredible job at cleaning it up. I'm not sure what they used though. You might try a local carpet cleaning shop or ask around the area for carpet shops who are equipped to do boats (small tools to get into small areas)

waybomb wrote:Source of the post Monkey fuzz!
Comes right off. A gallon of contact cement and a bunch of yards of monkey fuzz.

What did you replace it with??

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 22nd, 2018, 10:36 pm

In my case it is what they all call Monkey Fur. It worked for me. Just don't want to strong of a solution. I probably would not use it on vinyl. Might be to strong and cause future problems.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 23rd, 2018, 12:09 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post My boat had some old stains under several of the portlights that had been leaking and dripping. I did have a cleaner come in and they did an incredible job at cleaning it up. I'm not sure what they used though. You might try a local carpet cleaning shop or ask around the area for carpet shops who are equipped to do boats (small tools to get into small areas)

waybomb wrote:Source of the post Monkey fuzz!

What did you replace it with??

More Monkey Fuzz! Got it Wolfe's in Benton Harbor.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “General Boating Discussion”