Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Black Streaks

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Black Streaks

Postby denpooch » August 19th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Well its that time of year where the boats in my neck of the woods develop those pesky streaks on different areas of the yacht.
Perhaps they appear because there is more rain now, but in any event they are a pain for those of us who pride ourselves on a clean boat.
I would be interested in knowing how you folks attack this problem. I know that a product like 'Simple Green' eliminates them quickly, but I believe it also takes away a coat of wax. I find myself cleaning them with 'Mcguires Cleaner/Wax', but that is a two step process and a pain. I use it because I am not taking off the protective wax finish.
What do you folks do about this?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Black Streaks

Postby bud37 » August 19th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Over time we have found that the cleaner the canvas etc the less streaks, but they are always present ( pollution ).....its always been a case of going around and wiping before the sun sets em... etc..... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » August 20th, 2018, 5:52 am

I use a spray wax/ cleaner on them and wipe them away. I know, when I see them, I hate it alos. There are many different ones on the market but, for this purpose, I believe any quality one will do the job.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » August 20th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Try Lemon Pledge. I know it sounds strange, but it works! If the steaks don't come out, then my favorite is Presta Hull and Deck Cleaner:

http://www.prestaproducts.com/Marine_Hu ... tails.aspx

https://www.partsvu.com/presta-marine-h ... gKvCPD_BwE

Good luck!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » August 20th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I do know one guy at the dock who happens to do auto detailing as a side job, uses Pledge on his boat. Also, the guy who installed the new Isenglass on my boat suggests the same product for cleaning and protecting the glass.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 20th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Years ago this guy at the marina used lemon pledge on his boat.....when he came back to the boat the following week, the boat looked like a ski lodge all wood grained.... :lol:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 14th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Denpooch. That streaking is coming from air contaminants caught in your rain. Usually is not a seasonal thing, unless you have a company changing fuel source on a seasonal basis. Did you come up with any great solutions? Mequiar's does make a Quik Clean product that enhances their wax products. It is No. 52 in their line of products. Works great for me. Just stay away from anything marketed as Black Streak Remover. Those products do strip away the wax, and leave a white streak different than your hull color. Due to the fact you're in Long Island, there are a lot of potential sources. See those smoke stacks blowing clouds in the air? What goes up.....well you know. Did you try that lemon pledge suggestion? Finally, did you use that on your Isenglass? I have Strataglas so I only use Imar on the windows. The Imar has been taking out some fog properties from my Strataglas, as the previous owner had use Plexus. Hope to hear from you.
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “General Boating Discussion”