Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Total noob questions about marine head

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Capn Crunch
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Santego 310
Crusader 350XL injected, Hurth Inboard
Location: On the Mighty Columbia River in the Pacific Northwest

Total noob questions about marine head

Postby Capn Crunch » September 21st, 2018, 2:20 pm

Having never owned/used neither rv or marine vehicles before now I have no idea what's involved with using the head on my boat. Anniversary today and rather than drive 250 miles away to a $250 a night motel we decided to try the boat out for a night of river camping.

89 Carver Montego 2557 with a manual pump head. Do you have to fill with water at the bow of the boat? Are there sea-cocks needing to be opened?

Sorry all for my ignorance... Any education I can glean would be greatly appreciated!!

Mark

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Total noob questions about marine head

Postby RGrew176 » September 22nd, 2018, 12:28 am

We were all total noobs at one time. To keep it less confusing yes there is a seacock down below in the bilge area that must be opened to allow your toilet to draw in water for the flushes. Not sure without a pic as to what type of manual head you may have. My last 3 boats all had manual heads. There hopefully (if you have the same type) a lever on the side that could be marked wet bowl/dry bowl.

When you go, you need to flip the lever into the wet bowl position. That will draw in water to flush the material down into the holding tank. It will take several pumps of the handle to draw in water and to flush all the material down into the holding tank. If you want to have a dry bowl then you can flip the switch into the dry bowl position and clear water from the bowl.

Personally I always liked to keep a little water in the bottom of the bowl so I rarely ran it completely dry.

Hoping that this will be helpful information. If you have more questions, ask away.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “General Boating Discussion”