Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

5 mph increase dreaming

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
rjr
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 440 MY

Re: 5 mph increase dreaming

Postby rjr » October 4th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Viper I agree. The engines are already maxed out with the turbos. Will make sure next year all excess weight is removed. I keep telling the admiral this is a motor yacht, not an express cruiser.

BTW, my engines do not have ECMs so flashing is a moot point.

Thanx for input.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 4th, 2018, 8:44 pm

rjr wrote:Source of the post..... BTW, my engines do not have ECMs so flashing is a moot point....

Was wondering about that. Thought it was a strange suggestion.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 5th, 2018, 9:15 am

I'm confused. We're branching into engine mods when the OP isn't even using the throttle with what he has. Wouldn't the FIRST thing to do would be to run the engine at a higher load than 50% to get more speed?

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » October 5th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Waybomb & Viper - I agree. Engines are already maxed out with turbos. CAT dealer said engines do not have ECMs so flashing is moot.

Will let you know next spring. Thanx for input.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 14th, 2018, 12:52 pm

rjr, I know this is way to obvious, but have you tested your trim tabs frequently to find your most efficient setting? You do not have to change attitude very much to increase 3 to 5mph, so maybe that will help. I reset trim tabs on every cruise, and get a 3mph increase as soon as I get close to correct attitude for the water condition. The other thought, and one a lot of boaters neglect, is make sure the trim tabs are functioning correctly, and the tabs themselves are adequate size for the hull. Carver matches those components very smart, so size if most likely appropriate. You can check this out on the hard. Check owner's manual for which engine switch needs to be in "on" position for the tabs to engaged. Good luck!
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » November 14th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Follow up: if you decide to test your trim tabs, remember that the correlation between tab switch and physical location of the tab is crossed. I.E. the tab switch that indicates port side down/up actually controls the tab on the starboard side. Also, let's do a little math. I believe you have 500 gallons fuel capacity, which converts to 3575 pounds, and water tank is around 170 gal, which is 1360 pounds. Dropping both to half tank capacity would save you more than a ton of weight. That is significant, but be careful if you do long range cruising. Although your vessel weighs somewhere around 25000 lbs. dry, I do not think it is impossible to get some more speed out of that combination. Happy motoring!

Cooler
Cooler By The Lake

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » November 15th, 2018, 4:36 pm

Cooler: I use trim tabs constantly. I haven't found the sweet spot yet but will next year. Your point about weight is well taken. I'll be sure to pump out the holding tanks as well!

BTW, I agree - it is cooler by the lake.

Thanx

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » November 15th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Funny story....when I bought Cooler last spring, I asked the previous owner why the trim tabs did not work. His answer was, don't know, never used them. I looked at the pump and the screw to hold the cover down was still taped to the inside of the cover. He truly never used them as the delivering dealer never filled the reservoir. We bought some fluid at the marina just prior to the sea trial, they worked like brand new because they were. We had a good laugh about that because he didn't realize how much of a difference they made. Great guy though.

I talked to a Carver owner with a 390 Aft. He said he always has his tabs full down when cruising. That is his best performance. You guys do have a lot of hull in the water. I am going for a cruise next week. Going to go to Little Sister Bay, in my mind only. Sit in the cockpit in storage and fantasize the trip. Can you tell I'm losing it too early in the off season? Take Care. Cooler
Cooler By The Lake

Return to “General Boating Discussion”